1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Got the 418 to the track today...(LOOK AT THE DATALOG INFO on page 2)

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by droptop1320, Feb 26, 2006.

1. droptop1320

Rockingham Dragway, NC sux!!!!!!

Me and a friend went out there and made two passes. The first pass, I got my timeslip, and his was not on the board and no slip printed. Next pass, we both had our times on the board and got our slips....with our car #'s......but it wasn't the correct runs. It was from some other pass either ahead or behind us. There was about 30-40 people with the same complaint. Where do they find the morons that run that place. No wonder nascar ditched them if that's how they ran the other track!!! We loaded the cars up after that and left. What good is TNT with no slips???? Anyway, enough complaining. Here's the #'s:

First pass, 1/2 throttle through 1st and half of second, then floored it in the top of second.

60ft: 2.29
    1/8et: 7.6
    1/8mph: 106
    1/4 et: 11.20
    1/4 mph: 136

2nd pass, rolled out 1st gear to 4500, then full throttle....no timeslip

60ft: ????
    1/8et 7.0 (only know that because I heard the announcer say it on the video)
    1/8mph: ????
    1/4et: 10.60
    1/4mph: 137

I havent gotten a chance to go through the graphs on the datalogger yet, but I think I am either slipping the trans or pushing through the converter on top. On the last run when I shifted to high gear I noticed the rpm was at 5k. It stayed there for about 2sec, then started climbing. So that doesnt seem right to me on a 3k converter, but maybe it's just me not being used to an automatic. And also I have no idea where I shifted the car. I was so nervous that I just shifted when it sounded right, I didn't even see the shift light come on which is set at 6500. Once I get used to the car I think there will be enough left in 60ft and driving technique to get it into the 9's at the current boost level (12lbs). That's my goal for the car for now. Once I get there, then I'll look at turning up the boost. Even though the track flunkies had me pissed off, it was nice to run the car for the first time with the 418.

2. flamed 418

Re: Got the 418 to the track today

3. Tims86-9.80

Nice Job, the fact the car drove on the trailer is a big win. Good to go, Nice Job.

4. droptop1320

Thanks guys. I am happy with those #'s as a starting point. I had not driven anything at the track with bias ply's on the rear in about 3yrs. It took a little getting used to. I was suprised that it went so straight. I think it swayed more when I had the 331 in it, maybe cause the power is keeping it planted, or maybe cause it's an automatic now and doesnt have the gear changes unloading the chassis.

5. Brent Davis

Good job Darren. I hope to be able to play too soon ;). Those track ppl are getting younger and younger at the timeslip booth >:( so I know what you mean.

How did you have the jets set up and how much boost for the 137 MPH pass?

6. droptop1320

Jetting was 76/86, and 11-12lbs of boost. I hate to say it, but I didnt even look at the LM1 either pass, so I have no idea what my A/F was. I did record the runs but I left the logger in the car and I live about 45miles away from there, so I'm not going back for it tonight. I'll clean up the charts, label them, and post them up soon.

7. Brent Davis

Cool. I bet it was nice and safe. I'd say with 76/86, it was probably 10.5 to 11.0 range.

Did you have locked timing or a built curve with a Digital 7 ignition?

8. droptop1320

It was locked at 17deg. I want to buy a programmable digital 7, but that's going to be after I buy an intercooler.

9. Brent Davis

Be careful and choose wisely with an intercooler, hell with the boost level that you are talking about running, you really don't need one. FWIW, I bought the MSD Multi-Function controller and added it to my existing Digital 7 box and I have the same timing curve function as a Programmable one. Just another option for you if you didn't wanna spend alot of money for that complete new box.

Man, your car is going to fly Darren once you get timing, get the fuel mixture in tune and more boost. I am tickled at the low timing and boost and she ran 137 MPH "STILL". So really, what do you think about a turbo again????? :chacha: :moa: :ras:

Give me a shout this week.

10. droptop1320

I was looking into that add on box that you are running, but right now I only have a 6al. It is working fine, but there are a lot of features on the 7 that I would like to use, and in the long run once a bought 2-3 add on boxes, I would have spent about the same money as just buying the 7. If everything goes right I am going to buy a procharger race 3 core air/air intercooler. Once I feel I have gone as fast as I am going to at my current boost level, I want to do the intercooler and go up to 15-18lbs (and stay on pump gas, which is what I was running today ;) ). Hopefully that will take me into the mid-low 9's. From there the plan is 20-25lbs, c16, and more timing. But I am going to take it slow and get used to this thing. Before today the fastest I had been down the 1/4 was 12.5 @ 109. This was quite a change. I'll give you a call one evening this week.

BTW, I have been busy with my new job lately and hadn't been posting on here much, but I did finally get the rear end built. Running a spool, 31 spline mosers, c-clip eliminators, and a 3.27 gear. I crossed the stripe at 137mph and 5800 rpm on 26x11.50 et streets.

11. droptop1320

It's allright ;) :rofl:

12. Wicked393CILX

Good seeing ya with the car out at the track today Darren. I only got a chance to see one of your passes pretty good. Sounds nasty when the boost comes up. :chacha:
    I was able to get three passes in with my 427 n/a combo in my coupe right now....... It's aight but I sure miss the boost. Soon enough though I guess :D
    I did get one timeslip like you're talking about. Had my right time on it but the wrong car #'s. Guy at the timeslip booth looked to be in total confusion.

13. droptop1320

I knew that was your car when I saw it coming in the track. I watched the vid of your car from your website often when it had the YS on it as motivation when I was first building this thing :D . I didnt get to watch many passes. I was in line both times the street cars got to run, then I left. Sounds like you have your car moving to be N/A. Make sure you let me know when you take the x trim out there for some runs.

14. Brent Davis

Yeah I am doing my rear end right now with strange 33 spline and a spool.

Those sheetmetal intercoolers from Procharger come apart too. I've seen a few of them, 2 to be exact come apart at the seams. The cast ones last damn near forever though but are heavier and don't have the tank surface area like the sheetmetal ones.

Anyways, great job and make sure that you get that datalog info with that jetting/boost that you had on those two runs. That will help you big time for future boost and timing adjustments.

15. droptop1320

I guess there are drawbacks to all of them in some way. That procharger race cooler seems to be about the best compromise of an air/air that fits my size and flow requirements. It barely fits in the nose, and will support the kind of power I want to make. I guess I'll run it, and if I have problems then I'll just fix it and then brace that area. Then again not everyone runs 32lbs of boost, so I may not have any problems out of it :moa:

16. Brent Davis

Oh and neither do I. I think the last time I checked the data, it goes to 32 psi :chacha:.

Both intercoolers that blew, were less than 17 psi and one of them was an intercooler used by a member on here.

17. droptop1320

Fixed ;) I read through your thread where your cooler popped a panel, but honestly before that I had never heard of anyone splitting an intercooler. I guess once people start talking about it then it all comes to the surface. I have to get one to keep pushing this motor on pump gas either way though. So far Dale has been running the procharger cooler I am wanting for a while now with no problems. This has been at mostly 11-14psi, and 17 once or twice. He plans on turning his up this year, so I can see how it does for him. I hope to have mine as soon as I recover from having to pay uncle sam.

18. Stroked-Z

very nice runs......no vids of those passes?

19. jim wingo

pretty cool-your gonna fly

20. droptop1320

Thanks. I do have a video, but it was taken on a friends dvd camcorder and I am not sure how to get it ready to upload. I'll try to figure it out though.