1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

New build for boat

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by 508BBC twin T, Mar 17, 2021.

1. 508BBC twin T

Had a 508 BBC built all top notch internal. Broadax race right heads. the motor was set to 8 to 1 compression. Plan on running 16 LBS boost. One little detail I'm putting in a 19' Crusader Berkley jet boat had pump built to support up to 700 HP. I'm at the point of putting together the exhaust system and intake. As for the exhaust manifolds I'm running a set of the Gail Banks water cooled rail and case. After that the exhaust enters a 3" stainless tube and is feed to base of the turbo's each side. The turbos are from the early 80's the brand is RayJay. They were brand new still in the box paper work and all. The exhaust housing on them is water jacketed basically they are intended for marine application. From information I found on them and info in box they are capable of about 16 pounds boost. Running two of them one on each side. Been on Ebay looking at wastegates and seem to be lookin g at the Tial units. Not wanting to brake the bank they seam to be decent. Will be installing two of them on the exhaust elbows. They are 44mm and will be running a manual boost controller. As for BOV Tial has 50mm units and would run two of them also more for safety as in two. These would feed two water cooled heat exchangers to cool the intake charge then into a power hat that sits on top of an FI-Tech 1200 HP EFI unit. It can handle up to 25 pounds of boost but I only plan on running around 16 pounds. Not looking to brake any world records just wanna play and have fun. Oh the cam was built by Ultradyne cams and built to suit my build and application, hydraulic roller 610 lift mild application. Basically looking for feed back on build and suggestions from people that know turbos. I've been in the car racing most of my life and know that pretty well. I have a 1970 Nova true SS with and L78 396 stroked to a 438 running the 800 HP EFI unit from FI-Tech puts 532 to the ground Tremic 5 speed 411 gears, 720 Ultradyne solid roller fun ride to say. I appreciate any info good or bad and suggestions and changes or modifications as needed thanks.

Already posted this in other section but seen the boat forum thanks.

2. Weedy

I have somewhat similar stuff, but using an aftermarket 8.1L but with same Banks exhaust with Rajay Turbos. I too am looking at using dual 44 waste gates, I started making custom SS Y's (between the manifolds and up elbows) to mount them, haven't figured out the recombining into the wet exhaust post turbo part yet. I can send a drawing of the Y for your amusement, mine is tight and minimal (cant have much hot stuff under a doghouse) its in a 21' Daytona variant.

I have the HP efi and MPI 60/80lbs haven't picked yet, wish I had the dominator for dual O2 sensors reasons but I hope 1 side will do. I have the Banks I/C hat - bolts straight to the intake, but I may fit it hanging from transom (above berkely) and feed the TB and on thru an elbow into the manifold. Im CAD and held up a bit, some of my parts are relaxing on your side of the border at a brokerage warehouse.

Yours sounds like a Banks system or part of a system. If you haven't noticed, the turbines will have a hole drilled to bypassed some exhaust and limit boost. I don't think you will see 16psi and need any external waste gates if you do not plug the bypass. Mine are/were about 9/16" I think. If you know all this then sorry for stating the obvious.

Im a little concerned that the turbos will be a bit small and the water cooled parts will bleed off too much heat. Might ceramic the inside of the Alum. exhaust logs.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  3. Weedy

Ignore the previous - I ran out of edit time, so I reposted

I have somewhat similar stuff, but am using an aftermarket 8.1L block, heads,crank etc but with the Banks MK3 Turbo kit. it uses ceramic coated 301EE10 Rajays with wrap around water shields. I too have dual 44mm waste gates, I started making custom SS Y's (between the manifolds and up elbows) to mount them, haven't figured out the recombining into the wet exhaust post turbo part yet. I can send a drawing of the Y for your amusement, mine is tight and minimal (cant have much hot stuff under a doghouse) its in a 21' Daytona variant. Its 3" long and between 2 different water-cooled parts, so I guess Ill coated it or wrap it and see how it is.

I have the HP efi and MPI 60/80lbs haven't picked yet, wish I had the dominator for dual O2 sensors reasons but I hope 1 side will do. I have the Banks I/C hat - bolts straight to the intake, but I may fit it hanging from transom (above berkely) and feed the TB and on thru an elbow into the manifold. Im CAD and held up a bit, some of my parts are relaxing on your side of the border at a brokerage warehouse.

Yours sounds like a Banks system or part of a system. If you haven't noticed, these turbines have a hole drilled to bypassed some exhaust and limit boost. I don't think you will see 16psi and need any external waste gates if you do not plug the bypass. Mine are/were about 9/16" I think. If you noticed and know this then sorry for stating the obvious.

My parts say Im at 537ci but I havent bored yet and wish to avoid shrouding the valves so it will likely be 560ish. With that Im a little concerned with the turbos being a bit small but I'll start with them. Also the water cooled parts may bleed off too much heat. I might try to get the inside of my Alum. exhaust logs ceramic coated. The kit was originally engineered for a draw thru carb on a 350/425hp 454, and was about 600 so we will see.

My pump is not done yet. It has an A3 size impeller, I am gonna baby it up in rpm to see if I redline and need bigger and then go SS. With a large impeller I have heard that an inducer just gets in the way. I machined intake and shoe/rideplate (well, working on it) but no loader. I think some pump pressure measurements are in order before I do much more, and really I don't have extensive pump experience or knowledge other than much reading and assembling a couple.

Cheers