1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

68 Twin Turbo

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by CamaroRob, Feb 8, 2023.

1. CamaroRob

Car has been sitting on jack stands since 2011. Figured it was time to get it going. I had a 632 NA track only in it but sold in 2011. 540 twin turbo is what I decided to go with currently.

Engine: 540
    Dart Pro 1 345s
    Callies Magnum
    CP Pistons
    Carrillo Rods
    Steve Morris Cam
    Super Vic Intake
    C & S Blow Thru Carb
    Jesel Shaft Rockers

Chassis:
    68 Camaro
    Ladder Bars
    TRZ Rack & Pinion
    Tires-Hoosiers QTPs 31x14.50
    Weld fronts, Weld rears (Beadlocks)
    Spaghetti Menders Wiring system
    iq3 dash/data logger ( Coming Soon)
    Leash Pulse/Boost controller ( Coming Soon ) Cam 1.jpg #ad
    Cam 2.jpg #ad
    Cam 3.jpg #ad
    Cam 4.jpg #ad
    Cam 5.jpg #ad
    Cam 6.jpg #ad
    Cam 7.jpg #ad
    Cam 8.jpg #ad
    Cam 9.jpg #ad
    Cam 10.jpg #ad

Here is the car as it sits currently. Will post more as I get engine and other goodies when they come in.

Rob

Briansshop, Pro-SC and nxcoupe like this.
  2. CamaroRob

Will probably go with Twin S480s but have not made final decision

vinces427bb and Disney Lincoln like this.
  3. nxcoupe

Wow, sweet Camaro.

4. CamaroRob

Thanks Coupe, looking thru your albums. Very nice Mustangs. Some serious wheel stands. What tracks do you run at?

5. nxcoupe

Edgewater in Cincy or Kikare in Xenia are home tracks, but I've raced all over, Norwalk, Bradenton, Maple Grove, Beechbend, etc, following nmra and funford. Thanks man!

6. CamaroRob

Installed iq3 dash. Racepak has made this process extremely easy. Cam 11.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  7. CamaroRob

Mock up engine in place. Looks like I need a sizeable cowl to cover it Carb 1.jpg #ad
    Carb 2.jpg #ad

8. CamaroRob

Glasstek hood just arrived. Ended up going a 6 1/2' Bubble Hood 1.jpg #ad
    Hood 2.jpg #ad

91turboterror likes this.
  9. CamaroRob

Hopefully will be getting the engine next month. Will be able to finish up the wiring and start to see where the Turbos will go

20112011Cummins likes this.
  10. CamaroRob

Been a while since last post. Business got busy and was waiting for some parts to come in.
    C & S Carb arrived. May have to modify the crossmember to get hood to fit. About a 1/2" too high Camaro 5.jpg #ad

11. CamaroRob

12. CamaroRob

13. CamaroRob

Decided to go with a different set of wheels and tires

Weld Alpha 15x13
    Mickey 315 Radials Camaro 2.jpg #ad
    Camaro 3.jpg #ad

14. CamaroRob

Talked with Precision and took the plunge with a pair of 7675 Sportsmans. They should be plenty for my HP goals Camaro 4.jpg #ad

TurboSnake281 and silver82GT like this.
  15. CamaroRob

Never done turbos before and trying to figure out placement. Was thinking of doing Up & Forward headers straight into Turbos. Two small radiators on each side of the Intercooler right in the center. If anyone has suggestions, let me know. Still gonna be a month or two before I can install actual engine for final fitment. Hoping to dyno the 540 in August. Camaro 1.jpg #ad

16. CamaroRob

Been a while since my last post. Gave myself a few Christmas presents :). Installed the engine and will start to figure out hot/cold side for turbos. Camaro 8.jpg #ad
    Camaro 9.jpg #ad
    Camaro 10.jpg #ad

74chlngrTT5.9 likes this.
  17. CamaroRob

Intercooler 1.jpg #ad
    Intercooler 2.jpg #ad
    Intercooler 3.jpg #ad
    Received my intercooler just in time for Christmas also. Will be installing the clamps ( Motion or LPS AlphaLoc couplers ) in the coming weeks to see how plumbing will go. Will hopefully have some good progress pics by end of January. Now that engine is in I can start/finish some electrical.

18. CamaroRob

Small update. While waiting for my cold/hot side parts to be released from parts jail, I wired up the Leash Boost/Pulse control. Read the directions at least 20 times then wired her up. Ran it thru the tests and seems to be working perfect. Camaro 10.jpg #ad
    Camaro 11.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  19. CamaroRob

Mounted FuelTech's presure log and Motions solenoid bracket to make things more simple and cleaner looking. Once I get turbos mounted back, I will be able to start running the plumbing lines for the controller Camaro 13.jpg #ad
    Camaro 12.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  20. CamaroRob

I had March 13th as my Dyno day but the delay of the hot/cold side pushed it to mid April hopefully. I work better when there is a deadline. I will post pics of hot/cold side once I get them back and installed

tbird, Old 86 and TurboSnake281 like this.