1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Does it matter if vacuum hoses are run in parallel or series?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by FastDriver, Mar 22, 2009.

1. FastDriver

I searched and didn't see anything. I recently melted a hole in one of my vacuum lines that ran to the lower side of the W/G. The same vacuum line was T'd to the MAP sensor for my BS3. When the line went, the W/G could no longer regulate boost and at the same time, the BS3 saw only 14psi even though boost was shooting to over 20 psi. So, the BS3 was trying to inject less fuel than the motor needed. I recognized something was wrong only because my AFR was leaning out even at partial load when boost came up at all. Fortunately, at first glance it seems I didn't do any significant damage to the engine. These lines and the line to my FPR are probably the most important lines in the system, and I want to ensure that they remain accurate independent of any other lines. Can I accomplish that by going to a vacuum tree and running in parallel from that, or will I have to drill and tap the manifold to run independent lines?

Thanks,

Chris

2. theblur98ss

I have most of mine lines coming off a vacuum manifold independantly. I also have a couple T's spliced in here and there. While others have done t's into t's with no problems I don't like to T a line more then once.

3. clone93gt

Knowing what your computer is recieving is very important especially with a boosted car. I would make/buy a block that eveything pulls vacuum off of. Reason why I am saying this is because if your boost gauge is independent your car is making boost while you may have blown off or melted the refrence line to the fuel regulator and well you have alot of problems. I found out first hand about this with my supercharged 4runner. No gauge and would floor it and truck would fal flat on its face and detonate. Come to find out no refrence line. Ran a gauge Tee'd to the reference line and next time the line came off the gauge read zero at idle and would not move. That let me know that HEY something is UP! Just an idea I know some people will disagree.

4. LowBoostinT76

It doesn't really matter because unless a problem like yours happens all pressure will be equal. I run my map sensor and fpr vacuum lines from one source though(together) with nothing else with them for safety. You may get faster responce this way but I doubt its worth noteing. I've always been told to keep those two seperate from the others, so I ran them together.