1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Air To Water Intercooler On A street car....who's using them?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PrecisionTurboMustang, Mar 18, 2009.

1. PrecisionTurboMustang

Like the topic says.. :angel:

I am working on a four banger project. Being reliable is number 1 to me only second to performance. Are they any drawbacks to using one on a daily driven street car? I have never used one before but they have come WAY down in price and chiseled has some fine looking tanks. Any thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated!

2. livefast1

my mach 1 uses the vortech air to water setup. 471 horses on the stock bottom end.

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

Where did you pick up a heat exhanger from?

4. Drlee50

any! 03 cobra, trans cooler, summit racing etc. just a finned set of tubes!

5. Matt Cramer

There's one on the MR2 here at work. It works better than an air to air on a mid engined car, but not quite as well as the air to air setups in front engined cars we've built or tuned as it has a bit more of a tendency to heat soak.

6. mrtbolt64

I run a 5 gallan water tank in the trunk and the water will get fairly warm after a while. As others have mentioned throw in a heat exchanger somewhere and run the largest water tank possible.

7. PrecisionTurboMustang

Now I just have to figure out where to put the intercooler istself....I really don't want it in the car.

8. TrxR

I remember reading somewhere about using an AC cooler but am not sure how that would work.

9. flash

Get one off of a lightning.

10. Andy Dorsett

I would not use any type of heat exchanger as mentioned above. An oil cooler has thicker walls to handle higher pressures that costs you some efficiency. Use something constructed like a radiator like a small radiator.

11. domn8rx

We've had real good luck with ours, 5 gallon fuel cell in the trunk, stock cobra heat exchanger, cobra water pump and a cheap ebay cooler in the fender. We've made 740 so far and the car is driven alot and were in florida.

john

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. 99TTGT

E bay $160
    will support 1001RWHP with AIT of 56.9d
    I test mine daily

inter.png #ad

13. PrecisionTurboMustang

How large of a tank are you using? Are you using an ebay pump as well? Are you using a heat exchanger?

14. TrxR

I wonder how a rad off an inline 4 street bike like a GSXR 1000 would work?

15. domn8rx

the stock cobra ones work great and they almost give them away....i paid 20 for mine and it has 3/4 hose ends on it. It also fits in the front bumper nice, we have 2 small fans on it.

john

16. livefast1

another idea for a compact heat exchanger would be a heater core, depending on your app you could even run twin heater cores, would be very functional and look cool in place of where the fog lights would be on a gt bumper. dam i just gave my self an idea.

17. 99TTGT

18. 98_snake_bite

I run one in my daily driver. It uses a Lightning heat exchanger and pump with a custom tank.