1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

new 88mm majestic on 500 cadillac motor

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by 500ss, Nov 16, 2008.

1. 500ss

so i just bought an 88mm majestic and am fabing up the components

any suggestions?

2. CHEVYTOYR1

half of 500ci is 250ci i dont think it would spool that turbo on just one side. and yes u need to run a crossover pipe. if not its going to be like u trying to run with a bag of cement on of ur legs lol jk. what carb are u going to use for ur motor?

3. 500ss

lol

ok so i need two header flanges then, ok thanks

as fas as the carb im waiting for a csu blowthru 850

any other suggestions would be great thanks

4. CHEVYTOYR1

if u post more in detail what u have like what turbo specs what the motor internals are and what ur trying to do with the car then u might get more replys. be specific and list in detail as much as u can.

5. Ssmonte408

i'm going to guess by all the rubber fuel lines and the small regulator that your going to need a whole new fuel system

6. 500ss

Please elaborate

7. Ssmonte408

8. 500ss

I've got a robbmc fuel pump rated to 1100hp
    As for the regulator it's adjustable to 20 psi
    Any other suggestions?

9. sean

But can the regulator flow enough volume? The Robbmc pump is an unknown for this application. Going from memory, Robbmc isn't sure of the limit of the pump in boosted applications. The pump arm may bend or not. How do you plan to boost reference the pump and the regulator. I'm not saying it won't work, ( Been running a a mechanical pump on a mild turbo car for years) but most here are familiar with electric or belt drive fuel systems and generally shun traditional mechanical pumps.

You will need to be spot on with the tune. Main cap walk will be a problem if you go into detonation, at least that is what seems to happens to my Caddy.

Getting fancy with the headers isn't required IMO. If you can use the stock manifolds by flipping them side to side or upside down should work as long as they don't crack. Is the 88 a T6 turbine? What A/R? How much power do you want to make?

10. 500ss

T6 with .96 a/r
    What fuel pump are you running and how do you boost reference it?
    I'm looking for a thousand hp

11. bluchev

sounds like a sweet build!!

12. sean

The mechanical pump is on a mild 302 turbo car (about 400hp) not the Cadillac. The Cadillac has an Aeromotive A1000 pump and 13204 regulator. The mechanical pump on the 302 is a Carter street pump. You must boost reference any traditional pump and the regulator to work properly when going the mechanical route. A line is run to the pump and regulator diaphragms from the piping between the turbo and the carb. So every pound of boost that the turbo makes raises the fuel pressure by the same amount.

You will need to be dead on the tune at 1000hp. It sounds like it should be easy with 500cid, but the heads flow about like small block stuff and the choices for affordable cams limits the options on duration, lift and overlap.

13. 500ss

Re: new 88 mm majestic on 500 cadillac motor

thanks sean i appreciate it

so i should switch to the aeromotive stuff, thats fine

also i have a cad co cam that should be fine with the turbo

and the heads have some work aswell

any other suggestions?

14. 500ss

upon researching, it doesn't seem too hard to boost reference that fuel pump
    But where do I run the Line to the reg ? Do I have to use the third port? Cause I got a fuel press guage there?

15. CutlassRacer

That little Holley regulator is not going to move near enough fuel to keep the carb filled. It will hold you back if you try and use it. Having the fuel system hold you back is a very bad thing!

16. 500ss

Aeromotive on the way
    Thanks to all for previous and future advice

17. sean

Good choice! Best advice I heard and ignored at first: Start with low boost and timing and step up in small amounts. Watch the AFR's and be ever vigilant for fuel starvation. If you ignore that, there will be a many broken parts in the future.

Second advice: Don't worry about making 1000hp unless you need it to be a competitive racer. My Cadillac has made over 800hp, but seldom was ran up that high on the street.

18. 500ss

ok so robbmc says the pump is fine and will send me a referenced pump in exchange, is that ok or should I get the a1000 since I'm getting the regulator anyways?
    And do I absolutly need an intercooler?
    I don't need 1000 hp on the street but I'd be nice to turn it up once and a while

19. 500ss

anyone?

20. Boost Engineer

Don't believe everything that a vendor tells you. Lots of posts on this board reflect other experiences on given products. Many times it is better to go down a proven path based on info from others failures.

JMO

Tom V.