1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Needle and seat

Discussion in 'General Carb Tech' started by botietr, Mar 16, 2011.

1. botietr

This is a question about needles and seats.not so much a crutch carb question but i do have a crutch carb.

Ok,i have my carb off the car.i had a float sticking and drowning the motor.i took it apart and got the float from sticking but i noticed something else.i rigged up a electric pump with a regulator to the carb.i set the regulator at 3lbs Fuel pressure( thats what my base Fuel pressure is) i have dual needle and seat bowls with the fish tank looking see through glass to watch and set the float level.well i usually set it on the second line from the top.it got to there after i set it,paused for a second,then started to rise till it was coming out the vent tube.is the needle and seat shot for some reason that it can't hold back 3 lbs of fuel pressure?or?

2. MN Tony

I had a problem similar to what your experiencing. I have dual needle and seat bowls (the old PCI ones) and what I found out was that if I assembled it with the floats all the way down that they were getting caught on the housing for the power valve on the crutch. It wouldn't happen when I assembled the carb upside down (with the floats all the say up. So I clearanced the float and it seems fine now. Just got to make sure that nothing is touching that float I guess.

3. botietr

I'll check that but i don't think it is hitting anywhere.i went through the motion and seemed clear of everything.i put in my first post fuel was coming out of the vent tube.its really coming out the boosters after i checked it out again,not the vent tubes..

4. Blown440sst

Do you have standard holley floats in there? By the time they have enough clearance to work in those bowls there has been enough material removed from them thast it drastically affects bouyancy.

5. botietr

Not sure what floats are in it.i got them from Brent a long time ago.they were working fine.now they started doing this.i checked to see if the needle and seat had trash.i found nothing after removing them and inspecting them.is there a special float to use in these bowls?

6. botietr

Ok its fixed.it WAS the o-rings on the N/S.holds firm now. thanks.