1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Water meth injection?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by S-Dime, Apr 18, 2016.

1. S-Dime

Im thinking of adding water/meth injector to my daily driver for some colder intake temps (7psi non inntercooler ) . I was wondering what would be the best location for the jet? Also any pros or cons from personal experience would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Chuck L

Carb? Inj? Some more about the combo would help....

3. S-Dime

It's efi. 99 s10 2.2L. Stock engine management with the exception of upgraded injectors and a tune. All I'm looking to achieve with the water /meth is lower intake temps. Also. If this is a good idea how would it affect my tune being that now the intake heat is giving me issues but in the winter when it was tuned it ran perfect with the colder ambient air

4. Forcefed86

With no IC, Best place by far is pre-turbo... The more methanol in the mix the richer it will make your tune. High amount of water will drown out spark and cause misfire issues. Depends how much you spray and what percentages of water to meth...

5. S-Dime

Thanks for the reply and the info. It'much appreciated. So I guess it's fair to say this would be a good alternative to an inntercooler in a truck with little to no space to mount one? As far as my air temp sensor...do yoy know if I mount the jet pre turbo will my ait still be OK near the throttle body or will moisture affect it?

6. Forcefed86

Yup.

...And sure it will effect your IAT sensor. Won't hurt it. It will cause it to read abnormally false low temps as the fluid rapidly evaporates off the IAT sensor bulb. Make sure you aren't adding timing with cooler IAT's or anything. And don't believe the IAT sensor readings are correct when you have the alky on. It does most of it good in your combustion chamber, not cooling the charge temps.

7. S-Dime

Thanks again! Most helpfull

8. S-Dime

So I ordered a kit today from snow performance. Something that I was also wondering is what if I only injected water for the cooler temps? Im happy with the power I'm making some long as the intake temp is low enough to run effectivly so it would seem to me that this would work in place of an inntercooler without effecting my tune...would you say this is correct and would be effective?

9. rdakota340

There is some good info on the Grand National sites those guys use water/meth a lot I have a snow kit but I'm carb and I don't log any IAT I'm no help there.

10. S-Dime

Thanks man. Could you shoot me a little link to the site?

11. S-Dime

Just an update. With the water/meth injection installed using a 175ml. Min. Nozzle pre turbo I was able to up my boost fromy 7-9psi and at wide open throttle and full boost I'm seeing intake temps of 82*-96*f with a 50/50 mix. A/f ratios seem to be in check without any more tuning needed. I'm sold on this...worth every penny!!