1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Underbody protection

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by livefast1, Sep 23, 2011.

1. livefast1

what are you guys using to prevent rust and such under your trucks or projects? Just picked up a 2002 rcsb chevy with a 5.3 and want to keep the frame from goin the way of my 93. Not looking to strip the whole truck, would just like to know what you guys use and the best way to prep it from underneath.

2. RI85GT

Rust ?

(yay, I finally get to say that :banana:)

3. ashford

4. Kerrdogg

The Buick guys used to swear by POR-15 or was that swear at.... :)

5. streetone01

a pump sprayer with used oil and diesel fuel. once a year spray it down. i know a body guy who swears by it.

6. livefast1

Trying to prevent rust. I thought about brake cleaning everything down, heat gunning it to,make sure it dries off and either hitting it with primer or spray on bedliner. Ive also been told you can fill the rockers with foam like great stuff, any truth to that?

7. ashford

foam= sponge=bad idea. it holds water.

8. stangman9897

9. livefast1

Does he swear to love replacing brake hoses, fuel lines, evap hoses?

10. stangman9897

Sounds like it would be fun to get under and work on driping with that shit.

11. furchaser

I use this and have for a while .. doesn't stink or drip and it's easy on rubber moldings and seals where petroleum based shit turns them soft and they rot.
    Add a handy sprayer and your all set.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

wand (Medium).jpg #ad

12. Daddy

The best undercoating to get is no undercoating.

If you don't believe me I welcome you to come to my house and fix all the rot I have on the bottom of my car because they undercoated it. Seriously the undercoating plugs up and blocks all the drain holes in the bottom of the car. Then when water and moisture buildup inside the body panels (and it will) the water has no where to go so it just rusts the body from the inside out.

About the only thing I'd even consider is to fully strip, clean, and paint the underside with an Epoxy. If you don't want to go through all that then the POR15 is a good alternative, but again make sure you don't plug any drain holes.

:dito:

13. bluefunk2

X2 Just wash your car once a week

14. half-fast

im with furchaser- fluid film is good stuff

15. livefast1

16. furchaser

Undercoating and oil spray / rust prevention are 2 completely different things... I would never " undercoat " anything that I wanted to keep more than a week.

17. PrecisionTurboMustang

Here we only undercoat to hide the rust that's allreadythere :D

18. gp1racing

yup- oil is the best thing to prevent rust or keep slight surface rust from spreading- I spray everything down with wd40 whenever I change the oil. wd40 evaporates and leaves a slight film behind that helps prevent rust

bridal-shoal