1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo intake manifold

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Kryp2nitE, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Kryp2nitE

when using a turbo does the optimum rpm ranges of intake manifolds change cuz the air is being forced in?

would a single plane be better or even a tunnel ram?

2. turbododge

From what I have seen, they react very much like they do N/A, as long as they match the cam and turbo rpm range. Some people like to go a touch small on the intake (lower rpm range) to pick up the bottom end. The little bit of extra pressure drop at WOT/full rpm really isn't very noticeable and driveability is better.

I personally like to run a dual plane on the street to get the benefit of good, balanced distribution. This helps reduce uneven mixture problems that can cause detonation and plug fouling. Most single planes do not have very good distribution over a wide rpm range and would be OK for a high rpm race car, but not as good on the street.

3. TRENDZ

I will probably get a lot of resistance to my answer, but I ask that you consider my point of view..... with a turbo, you are not blowing the air through. A turbo only changes the density of the air that the motor ingests. air speed does not change. An engine at 3000 rpm has the same velocity at atmospheric pressure as it does at 15 pounds of boost,(it's actually slightly slower as boost increases, due to friction.) With denser air, Irregularities in surfaces of any air flow area are magnified, It is also harder to ''turn/ bend'' denser air. Think of compressed air sort of like a fluid. Use an intake with smooth transitions, and long radius bends if possible. A bad intake will still make good power, but a good intake will make tremendous power.

4. TTBee

Makes sense Trendz. I was planning on using a Holley Street Dominator. It's a single plane, but from what I have read, it makes decent low end power.