1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Any easy way to bend roll bar tubing?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by actmobmar, Jan 18, 2016.

1. actmobmar

I have a harbor freight tubing bender, it tends to kink the roll bar tubing, any methods or suggestions to bend the tubing? Thanks

2. flyinhillbilly

I had one of those before I got my mandrel bender. Bend it a little, move it a little, repeat process. Sweeping bends are less likely to kink. You can also cap the ends and fill the tubing with sand if you want to go old school.

3. half-fast

saw a guy on youtube with one of those benders that said you need to trying using a size smaller mandrel to get it to not kink

4. Chuck L

Made for industrial pipe, that's not the same dimensions as chassis material.
    The dies are not machined to prevent the kinks....
    We use the JD2 w/ air/hyd assist. No issues w/ being "kinky"..:grin:

5. mandrelbends

The machine complexity & necessary characteristics required to bend tubing increases as you get tighter in radius assuming the wall stays the same. If you are trying to bend something like a 6-8*Diameter radius, you can probably do it with a torch and a lever. 4-5*diameter require a single shot or crush style bender. Once you get below 3*Diameter, you start needing a mandrel, and when you get below 2*diameter you need a mandrel and a wiper. To get to 1.5*diameter requires mandrel, wiper and pressure die assist. Below 1*diameter, requires mandrel, wiper, pressure die assist and carriage boost.