1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

any way to monitor knock or detonation?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by davekusa, Oct 13, 2005.

1. davekusa

any way to monitor knock or detonation?

Has anyone tried the msd knock sensor?

2. Bellman Jeff

I haven't used a MSD, but I've got a J&S SafeGuard.. Works absolutely great.. It gives me the confidence to use the low octane unleaded (104) in my race motor.. So my wideband works as it should..

Check it out here:
    http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

3. Trentk

i have heard good things about the j&s stuff.

4. Superskwrl

i noticed in another thread, you mention the FAST system, within the old* FAST bank 2 bank, there is a provision you use a knock sensor aka ESC (electronic spark control)
    However there isnt a whole lot of info on it, but you can search my name on turbobuick.com in the ECM forum, and see some feedback

I've just picked up the parts to do it, and hopefully with be tryin it out very soon.

Good Luck

5. davekusa

From my understanding is that the esc is for GM only.

Or an option lead for the Ford EDIS.

?????

6. Superskwrl

I'm assuming you have a 5.0, if you have a 4.6 i have no idea

i have a 5.0,TFI bank system and in the FAST harness there is a wire marked "esc" you need to buy the esc module and sensor itself, and some wiring, and it should work,although for some reason no one seems to use it?

7. davekusa

I have 5.8 (same/same) with sequential.

I didn't know that the esc was an option. I will have to call fast and find out.

That would be really, really nice!

8. twofast

i had the j&s in my previous car and an msd in the current one. there's a reason for the huge price difference. the j&s is an active system, meaning it will actually do something about the knock.
    i'm still messing with the sensitivity on the msd, so i can't comment much about it.

9. davekusa

I don't know if j&s can be plugged into msd or fast dfi. I would mind the msd if it were at least accurate.

F.A.S.T dfi knock sensor only available on bank to bank.

10. mkgearhead

11. davekusa

I was just thinking that.

I was contemplating using the GM esc module and knock sensor.

Wire up a multi color LED for the output

12. Bellman Jeff

That would be an OK setup, for tuning purposes.. But the J&S will retard the timing ONLY on the cylinder that is detonating, and do it before that cylinder has a chance to fire again.. Without your having to look at lights..

It takes out various degrees of timing, depending on the intensity of the detonation.. If the detonation is so light that it can't be heard.. The J&S might only take out 1 or 2 degrees of timing.. But if it clicks hard, it might take out up to 20 degrees of timing.. When it does that.. It will nose your car over..Bigtime..

13. papis408w

never mind

14. HPhunter

15. Superskwrl

I've blown HG's with 11:1 AF, the online conseption that a wb is the be all end all tuning device is not accurate, a 2v blown saleen will be well into the 12's AF right from the dealer,and they sell them with a warantee