1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What should the EGT guage read with a good tune?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mtrain, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mtrain

I'm about to get a 94 Supra turbo, and the owner said that the EGT gauge isn't working.

He said it was working when he took it to be painted, but now it isn't.

The owner doesn't do the work himself to the vehicle, so I don't think this would be a hard fix as long as the gauge hasn't shorted out.

What should this gauge read? Also, what could a body shop have done to mess it up { I really can't think of anything as I'm assuming that it connects to the exhaust pipe like a wideband gauge}?

2. mtrain

Thanks, its a single turbo 94 Supra.

I don't know the turbo size yet. The owner says its putting out 570rwhp.

3. wantabe

What fuel,
    Camshaft design, and install method ..changes the get number
    Generalized 1100 F would be safe

4. mtrain

93 octane pump gas. The cam I don't know, its an HKS 265/273 is all I know.

The HKS website won't open for me, and I can't find the spec's anywhere.

5. BlownShovel

one thing about an EGT is you need to know what side of the curve you are on. You can be hot lean or rich. Just an FYI Reading plugs is the best method but how likely is it that you can blast wide open, shut things down and pull a plug or two? not very so EGT, WB02 and the like help us via logging.

6. PrecisionTurboMustang

If you are inexperienced with turbo cars invest in a wideband. It is much easier to use as a tool than an egt for a beginner. Both of them are used to help you either tune or to keep an eye on (monitor) vital engine parameters once it has already been tuned. If you want the egt gauge tell the seller to fix it before you buy. He maybe is trying to hide something. You have to be very careful when you buy someone else's project it may need a lot of work to be a reliable car. What's he asking for it?