1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

rear mount setup for a 2008 f150 4.6L

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Rubicon35, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Rubicon35

I have been reading and reading for a few weeks now on turbo's, rear mount setup, etc. Now that I feel i have at least a good base knowledge of how it all works I need some advice on where to start. I read through the garret turbo tech site which was a big help.

What is a safe HP to target for my truck. Its a stock 4.6L and i do plan on a dyno tune once the turbo is in. I was thinking 400ish rear wheel. Is this too much?

What kind of boost will i need to get to 400? 7,8,9psi? again what is a safe # to shoot for in a dd that i dont want blowing up tomorrow.

Also what kind of fuel is everyone running? Obviously the higher octane the better but as a daily driver id like to keep as low of octane as possible. Can I run 87? or is 91-93 a must?

Now onto my motor. Garret has the formulas for the MAP, WA (airflow) etc to figure out what turbo i should get. Since its a truck I want something that produces low end power. I get how the formulas work but I can only guess at some of the inputs.

What is my BSFC? .55?
    What air fuel ratio? 12?
    What should I estimate my Intake temp at? I plan on an inter cooler.
    What is my volumetric efficiency?
    Pressure Loss Between the Compressor and the Manifold (psi)? I am thinking this is more for a rear mount? 3psi?

I know lots of questions for a newb but Im trying to learn! lol. If no one knows these answers where could I go about finding them?

this is the turbo I am thinking aso far fits my application. what do you guys think?
    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/BB/T04BR_757197_1.htm

2. Rubicon35

3. turbojosh

i dont know how much help this is but i have read that you can figure out what hp you will be at a certain boost level by taking your naturally asperated horsepower and dividing it by 14.7 (atmospheric presure) and the multiplying it by 14.7+boost level so a 300hp car na would make 600hp at 14.7psi boost or 450hp at 7.35psi boost in theory. hope that helps . you could run it on 87 octane all day if you have no plans on boosting it or if you run low enough boost to not need a higher octane