1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

a few qeustions from a guy new to turbos.

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by slvrslg, Apr 5, 2011.

1. slvrslg

I need help figuring out what torque converter, boost controller, wideband and anything else anyone can think of that will make me go fast.

1982 Mustang Hatch 2900lbs
    Motor- 306,Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads, Tfs Stage 2 cam, Edelbrock Victor jr intake, Demon 650 blow thru
    Trans- Performance Automatics c4 no transbrake
    Turbos- Twin 60mm Garrett .63a/R .70a/R internal wastegate 2inch from turbo to intercooler 3inch from intercooler to Extreme Velocity Carb Hat
    Fuel- a1000 pump, aeromotive 13204 regulator, stock sumped tank,
    Rearend- 8.8 3.55 275/60 15 m/t street radials
    Ignition- MSD 6BTM, msd blaster 2
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

ALL HELP AND IDEAS APPRECIATED.

2. M&M Turbochargers

a guy might chech out the brand name "AEM" for a a.f.r. guage alot of people r running these and seem to be reasonably priced

3. turbo

its not called an afr gauge. It's called a wideband. That won't make it faster unless he don't have it to tune already. is he self tuning on it and how? It's a meter and only a meter for help with tuning. In and of itself won't make a car faster.

4. M&M Turbochargers

yes you are correct, and thanks so much for helping the guy out :2thumbs:

5. slvrslg

Okay ,thanks, I will have to get one of those, any advice on a torque converter and boost controller? and any other pieces to my puzzle im missing..

6. turbo

I've had great luck with ptc. Ultimate converter is another good choice. Pricing is cheaper at Ptc.

7. slvrslg

okay Ill give them a call over at PTC and see what they recommend,Lenny Ultimate said $1000+shipping and thats alittle out of my price range for this car. What boost controllers are people using?

8. wantabe

ptc are the ducks nuts...( means good in aussie slang)

9. BoostedBadBoy

Ok I was just looking and probably over looking it, but do you have blow off valves or a valve at least on this thing on the cold side? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but if you don't have one, you need it. As far as your Boost controler goes, do you want manual or electric? Gotta be more specific... and as for Torque converter, give us a price range your looking to spend and we can shoot out more options. Do you know the gearing of your trans? What about rear gear and tire size? What is your intended use for this car? those all factor in. And as far as AFR guage, goes, AEM seems to be a good one. And just so you know a AFR guage IS A WIDE BAND 02 AND VICE VERSA, don't correct good tech. Wille been here a while and knows his shit. He gave you a pass clearly.. lol Just so you know Turbo. :fu: lol I just called it out because you made it a point to say something about it, he asked what brands everyone used not just what made it faster, and if he wants to make it faster, Meth kit, or a small shot of Nitrous on top of boost will help. As far as what HP is his goal? Slvrslg... What is your base block and power goals? Because a stock 5.0 block breaking point is 500ish. Unless obviously you have a mexican or aftermarket block. those can handle higher numbers. There is more info we need here to better help you out bud. But from the looks of it, you have everything you need to send a stock block 5.0 well into the afterlife without ANY help of other stuff.. lol Maybe a tune on E85 will also help you out a bit and run it a bit cooler.

10. BoostedBadBoy

Also another thing I just seen from a glance at your system.. what kit did you buy? Is this a ebay turbo kit? Is your intercooler on backwards? Wheres the hell is your fins to cool it??.. correct me if I'm wrong guys, am I the only one seeing this? Or does that look like it maybe backwards or are some intercoolers mounted like that and have a ram built in somehow? Because that looks like the solid back is facing forwards to me, or maybe its just late and I'm not seeing it right, or my resolution is bad on my computer. SlvrSlg take some more pics up close for us, and post them on here please. I'm thinking you might have that mounted backwards bud. Is that a completely boxed off Intercooler with no fins?

11. BoostedBadBoy

Sorry about the replys I don't know how to edit. lol But it looks like the intercooler is on upside down and backwards. Try flipping it around so that the fins are facing forward and the 2" pipe thats on top will be on the bottom and below your 3" pipe.. and then the driver side Elbow and U thats pointed up at that point will be pointed down and I think that will put you on the right track. Or maybe I am completely wrong, but take some pics and show us. But I think that maybe how its supposed to mock up. Is this a JDM kit? Or something your piecing together yourself??

12. wantabe

you on drugs or pissed or something ?

13. BoostedBadBoy

No not at all, just tired, and lookin on a small ass screen. So I said I may not be seeing this right. Thats why I was hoping someone would chime in. From what I could see it just didn't look right to me, because I couldn't see the cooling fins and I thought they are supposed to face forward? And as I said, I don't know how to edit or half the stuff I just put I would have edited out. And made it much shorter. Am I wrong on what I am seeing? Or is that thing ok like that?

14. jridenour31

Re: Re: a few qeustions from a guy new to turbos.

I'm with Turbo on this. Williefister has been here for a couple months, Turbo has been here for seven years. As far as the intercooler, I'm on my phone so it's hard to see but it does look odd.

15. BoostedBadBoy

I was just fuckin with Turbo.. its not meant to be pissy. Just givin him a lil shit like I've got from time to time. They are both right, and it doesn't matter if you been here 15yrs or 2 days if your giving sound advice. Thats the whole point. Because yeah its the same thing, no the meter does not make it faster ** true ** but is needed for tuning properly reguardless and the question asked was what was everyone using, followed by what could make his combo faster. So I could see where it was fouled up, but what I said wasn't meant to be an asshole to anyone. So sorry if its taken that way :angel: lol

16. turbo

IF YOU CAN'T TUNE NOTHING WILL MAKE IT FASTER.

Words of wisdom you can live by. Remember this isn't about making a person look stupid. It is to help people learn AMD understand the terminology and the reality of forced induction. Think that every time you post and it will be much smoother for anyone to understand. who is searching for help on their project.

17. BoostedBadBoy

18. turbo

The caps lock was my fault if you think I was screaming. I was not.

Now back to technical stuff.

An afr gauge is not a wideband. FYI. So that is incorrect. Your just lucky that it follows the premises of one. That its how it comes up when searching is coincedence.

Bov, I didn't run one and caused no issues. So that is not to important either. I'll get more technical when I'm not driving.

19. BoostedBadBoy

Yeah just how it comes up... ;)

But yeah glad we had that talk.. lol... but yeah back too technical stuff... what I am worried about is I know you can get away without running a BOV on under 10psi.. but should he pass that up without any kind of a bypass valve or blow off valve can't that cause surge and bend or snap the turbo shafts? Thats my main concern with him not running one. But whats the life expenency of a turbo thats getting the back pressure air across the impeller blades? I thought you had to have a bov and wg working at the same time to properly decrease the pressure on the turbine when the throttle blades snap shut in order to keep surge from happening? Where would all that pressure go in the charge tube? Or like a bypass bleeding off the pressure everytime it sees vacume? Sorry I'm just trying to understand.... now I'm interested.. lol

20. M&M Turbochargers

this is like a soap opera, drama drama, can we just all be friends and learn from everone' s knowledge and experience :huh: