1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

pro comp heads

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by saleenstang88, Nov 8, 2009.

1. saleenstang88

I was just poking around ebay and i always see those sbf procomp heads that a few places are building and selling. They are short money and the runners and valves are good sized. Any one ever run these if so how were they? Does the price explain it all?

2. kevin23

the pro comps I have seen were a copy of the vic jr's.
    nowhere near the quality and I would say you get what you pay for

3. mustang-junky

4. wgsr-1

I currently have the chevy's (ported) on my car, and the castings are IDENTICAL to ProAction. I have installed 2 sets of the sbf heads now on 331's and they are excellent for the price. On all three heads I have dealt with, I changed the springs, and cleaned the castings up a little. For the money, you can't go wrong, BUT the springs are junk.

5. kwiktsi

In the OP's defense, I have searched here for info on the pro-comps as well and there isn't a whole lot of solid info. Just about 50-50 between "they suck- you get what you pay for" and "I use them and they are great, just don't use their hardware". Maybe there is more solid info out there on them now? When doing a Google search, I see the same thing- but also a lot of "the early ones sucked, the new ones are better" kind of stuff. So which is it :)?

6. MONTEGOD7SS

The first question to answer is if you are ok using a Chinese knockoff that copied an American design just to save a few bucks. If so, then you can move on to deciding if they are worth the risk to use. Personally, I would not run them no matter how great they were, but that's just me.

7. 95turbomustang

I am allways down to try something new. I have a set on my car right now. at the same psi, timing, as the stock heads I had before, I could feel the power difference in them. everytime I called procomp to ask them a question the people there where allways nice, and knew what the answer was. they are in california. just my 2 cents.

8. kwiktsi

I used to feel exactly as you do, until I realized just how many of our "American designed" parts were made in China anyway :(. We can do what we can to not buy things from there, but when all our American companies are farming all their work out to the Chinese, it will make no difference. Might as well get it direct and cut out the middle man who basically just puts his sticker/name on it and save a few bucks.

Yes, I hate it too, but it is just the way things are right now :(.

9. MONTEGOD7SS

Yes, but there are parts that are designed, forged, and machined here in this company, and I don't want to punish those companies just because others are farming out work. Some companies offer both foreign forged parts, and completely US parts depending on price point (Callies for example.) I agree that it is hard to find parts that aren't Chinese, but I will seek out the ones that aren't so that they stay that way.

10. blownpony

11. 1980c10

What kind of power do you all think the RHS pro action 215's will support?

12. wgsr-1

The exact same as pro-comps as they are the same head. Read my first post. Pro-action, RHS, and Pro-comp are the same casting, different valves and springs.

13. blownpony

RHS may use the casting as a core, but their finished product is waaaay nicer than the pro-comp or the pro-action. They at least do away with the casting flash and clean up the ports. Like wgsr-1 said, you won't have to worry about the valves or springs with RHS like you would with the pro-comps.

14. turbotater84

I had just bought and installed a set on my car. they were the procomp 210s. they didnt have the normal shit retainer but actually a decent machined retainer the springs were ok and checked fine not the best but will do. i took them apart and cleaned them up and checked for debris the castings were actually fairly clean on this set. i only had one problem with one pushrod hole and had to remove a burr out of it for pushrod to move cleanly. I also used their mls gaskets they looked identical to a cometic i only had to reround part of an oil return hole. we will see how it all works.

15. 1980c10

Well that doesnt help me at all because I dont know how much power either of them support, thats why I was asking.

16. 13oosted coupe

Ive been 5.77 @121 in the 1/8 on a 76mm and 9.16 a 146 letting out due to a fuel pump not keeping up . I cleaned up the ports and got my own springs and valves and put screw in freeze plugs . Car weight was 3275 . They will make power I have $795 in the heads .I feel I got what I paid for :D

17. 1980c10

Thanks for the reply 13oosted coupe just what I needed to hear haha. I'm looking to go 9.99 with 4,000lbs a S475 and a 408 wish me luck ;)

18. 95turbomustang

should be able to get it there, I like mine as well so far, I wish I dynoed it before and after so I could see the difference.