1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need opinion on this combination.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Probird, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Probird

Building a 1989 camaro prostreet,
    9 inch 4.56 spool 33 spline strange axles with ladder bars
    powerglide with trans brake

Just aquired a 355
    eagle crank
    eagle hbeams
    4 bolt main
    speedpro 2441 pistons (should be 8.0 to 8.4 to 1)
    RHS steel 235 heads with 2.06, 1.60 valves 72cc chambers
    victor intake
    going to use fitech 1200 injection
    2 - gt45 turbos
    air to air intercooler

Question is, is this cam going to be adequate for the above with 90% street, 10% track
    Crane "suggestions".......Goodmidrange HP, rough idle,performance usage,
    4000-4400 cruise RPM,good w/manifold nitrous system,
    11.5to12.5 compression ratio advised. Good w/ Roots
    supercharger,18lbs. maximum boost w/8.0 maximum
    compression ratio advised.

Crane solid flat tappet:
    .536/.554 lift
    252/260 at .050
    290/298 adv duration
    112 lobe separation

Engine is complete, just going to freshen it up and install.

Is it going to make decent power and spool correctly or be a pig?

my first turbo deal, have ran nitrous forever and also have 6-71 blower camaro on the street that runs decent, but turbos are another curve ball.

Thanks for any input.

2. Forcefed86

That cam has a ton of overlap... Not something you generally want with street friendly turbo build. Stop Looking at the build from a blower/NA standpoint. IMO you need to drop the gearing way down into the 2.73-3.50 range depending on the tire height and cam the motor way down as well. What kind of power are you wanting to make and in what RPM range? Make sure the RPM range matches the intake manifold you choose. And let us know the hotside details. (pipe diameter, manifold type, etc).

3. Probird

I thought i forgot something.
    MT sportsman pro 21.5x.33

No power goals, just a street car. Thinking it should make at least 800hp, not being unrealistic i don't think. I usually run solid rollers, but this one is in it already and figured i'd see what it would do. May just order a roller and lifters, this is also the SMALLEST engine i have ever tried to get anything out of.

Thinking on the hot side i am going to do 3 inch down pipe, and 1 5/8 headers and a bullet muffler.

Thanks for the input.

4. Forcefed86

You need a power goal to properly spec the turbo/hotside/coldside/cam/intake etc... 800 isn't unrealistic at all. What intake manifold? Carb? Fuel injection? What fuel? Compression ratio? Really need all the facts to make an educated guess.

5. Probird

speedpro 2441 pistons (should be 8.0 to 8.4 to 1)
    RHS steel 235 heads with 2.06, 1.60 valves 72cc chambers
    victor Jr 4150 intake
    going to use fitech 1200 injection
    2 - gt45 turbos
    air to air intercooler
    Pump gas for fuel

800 up would be my goal

6. Forcefed86

Race weight?
    Vic JR is rated at 3500-8000. How high you plan to rev it?

7. Probird

7600 shift point

Will be around 3200 with me in it.

My last 3rd gen was a 2x3 full chassis and was 2655 with me in it, glass doors, hatch and hood and pecan glass.

This one is glass hood and original Windows and round tube back half, pa racing kmember and arms with a rack.

8. Forcefed86

You’re revving it quite a bit higher than I was thinking with some huge tires so you’re original cam selection/gearing is pretty darn close. With twin GT45’s you’re back pressure *should* be close to 1:1, so reversion and overlap isn’t as much of a concern in your situation.

900crank @ 3200lbs should get you 152ish trap speeds.

4.56 gear and 33 tire should put you at 164 @ 7600 RPM. Figure typical 8% slip puts you at 151ish (PTC I have now has less than 5% slip up top)

ID want a converter that stalled to 3800 NA at least to help light off the GT45’s with a low compression 355. (anti-lag feature would help a ton on the T-brake)

I think the cam you listed above would work fine. Pump gas will still be you’re limiting factor, I’d look into water/meth injection on top to help open up the tuning window.

You could also put something like a 3.90/3.73 gear in it to help with the streetability. The 4.56 is pretty optimal for your power/weight goals but I doubt you would lose that much ET with a little taller gear. It will also load the turbo harder/sooner. In my old setup, going from a 3.08 to a 2.73 slowed me down about 3 tenths and I actually picked up a little MPH. IN my new setup I went from a 3.10 to a 3.25 and I say literally no noticeable changes ET/Trap wise. It may come off the line a little easier with the 1.76 glide gearing, but thats the only benefit I noticed.

Good luck, Post some pics for us! :cheers: