1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need masters advice on 3uzfe engine boosting

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Gseantt, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Gseantt

Hey guys, I have an 01 lexus gs430, and believe it or not the ecu on the lexus cars can basically tune itself for low boost. Supercharger kits were discontinued due to the fact that they were selling for 7000$ and only yelided a 90hp gain to the wheels on 6 psi with slightly bigger injectors. If you wanted to make more HP you would need to machine a smaller pulley and put a standalone ecu to get the max psi (15psi) out of the sc kit. And a standalone ecu for my car is big $$$ IMHO. Not to mention then I would need to upgrade the transmission and buy forged internals, and with all that money spent I would be better off just swapping in a lsx or 2jz engine.

Anyways, I could run headers(1500$), srt intake ( 600$) and exhaust with a piggy back tune and make 30 to wheels but my ecu wouldn't hesitate to delete the tune... Or I could fab up a cheap turbo kit, run it at 3 psi and the stock ecu could compensate and I would make 30 to the wheels without the hassle of my ecu fighting the piggy back. What's the cheapest way to fab up this kit, I really dont want to pass 3 psi due to the fact that my transmission really can't hold much HP and I drive my car pretty hard and it's my dd. Thanks guys, the first original sc kit was made with no ecu on 7 psi and was made to run off the stock ecu. The people who had the kit had no tune and ran like that for years with no problems. I think a turbo at 3 psi would be a better alternative to a supercharger since I would be able to somewhat achieve better gas mileage and the ecu would be able to compensate boost better at idle with the low amounts of air going into the engine. Not to mention the torque of the 3uz v8 already has enough power to spin the wheels from a stop so I see this helping with my 0-60's and putting less strain on my drivetrain. Looking farward to everyone's input

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. 20psiofevil

To be completely honest here I don't think this car is a candidate for a turbocharger. Usually when some adds boost they are looking for an additional 150- 200hp increase to justify the investment. Unless you are willing to swap in a standalone ecu I don't see the benefit to run only 3psi. I do however think nitrous is right up your alley.

3. Strictly Attitude

I agree also a little cheater bottle

4. Gseantt

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind turning up the boost for my application. Once the wideband gets installed I will be able to then decide how much boost I want to run cause I could make make a good amount of power if I go more upwards of 5-6 psi. Good point with justifying the investment but with luxury cars performance upgrades are not cheap especially for the 1uz/3uz platform. I'm new to turbo's and have usually been a supercharger/pro charger kind of guy and now I'm thinking turbo but I'm having a hard to finding out costs and what turbo to use. Since I'm running only 3psi to start I'm thinking this build could be had for under a grand yet yeild me more power and be cheap then an I/e/t combo. I would even consider a junkyard turbo, when time is right I could simply upgrade the turbo.

5. Strictly Attitude

lot of fab time for 30 hp at the wheels waste of money unless you can up the transmission power capacity. Cars only as strong as weakest link.

6. Gseantt

True, but I could up the boost to 7 in the future and make a solid 90. The engine is a small 4.3, boosted there is a guy on YouTube who got his 0-60 in the low 4's on 20's. I personally think its something I'm going to fallow through with. And if I ever end up doing an engine swap I will have all the piping.

7. Robb235

Are you planning on going with an under hood turbo, or some kind of remote mount? Does someone make turbo manifolds for your application?

What transmission is behind your 3uz? What would you have to upgrade? I've got the A340F in my 4Runner, and the only thing that really needs to be upgraded is the valve body. Can either send that out to be upgraded by IPT for around $700, or DIY with a Transgo shift kit for about $100. I'm taking the Transgo route myself.

8. 20psiofevil

My engine is a 4.3l as well but ford powered pushrod. Na it makes around 250rwhp. Never had it as low as 3psi but at 9psi it makes right at 400 wheel. What is your engines bore x stroke?

9. pavementpounder

I would conidder a remote mount turbo in place of the mufller.