1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

EEC Tuner or Tweecer???

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Brian-Mc, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Brian-Mc

I know this has probably been covered.. but let me as again..

I just bought an EEC Tuner from Trent.. and have talked and read alot of different feelings on them compared to Tweecers. What is easiest to tune with? I am not sure if I fully understand all about tuning with the EEC Tuner but have not even recieved it yet to even read anything about it other than what I have read on a few forums in the little time I can... Please give me your thoughts?

brian

2. Brian-Mc

Anyone..?

3. turbo54

I dont' know if you have a 5.0 or a 4.6, but I'll assume you'll be working with the A9L EEC.

I personally use an EEC tuner, and have only spoken to some people about the tweecer. From what I understand, the tweecer's only edge on the tuner is if you buy the RT version and can make changes real time. Thats nice, but also no biggie, in my opinion.

I have a 98 Cobra with the Graphical User Interface (GUI) software, which is availabe free from iwantperformance.net. The standard version is free, but the "pro" version is like $30 or something. Honestly, the pro version doesn't give you *much* extra, but I gladly gave them the money for it because it improves the usability of the tuner so much.

One guy I've talked to says he likes the interface of the tweecer better, but I see no major flaws with the GUI software for the tuner. I'm very happy with it.

As far as not knowing what to do with it.... Well, if you are enthusiastic about learning it, then you'll be fine either way. Both are somewhat difficult to get the hang of, as there are SO many things you can change. Thankfully, most of the stuff doesn't need to be messed with. With the GUI software, you can "hide" all the stuff you never change, which is 95% of the stuff.

Like I said, I can't really give you the tweecer side of the story, only the tuner side. When i made my purchase, the tweecer was *just* becoming available, and when I called to inquire, well....

It was 11:00 AM at tweecers place, and a child answered the phone. I said I was calling about the tweecer and the kid yelled "daddy....!!" A very groggy man answered the phone and I'm nearly certain he had been sleeping until he said "hello??"... So I gave my business to shiftmaster for the tuner.

The tweecer is also USB, whereas the tuner is Serial, but don't let that be a deciding factor, as the tuner will upload in about 1 second.... MUCH MUCH worse than the .1second from the tweecer (haha)

4. GT_4_FUN

I currently use the Tweecer RT. RT is not for the abilitity to change settings in real time. It is for REAL TIME DATA LOGGING. The RT version allows you to view or store on a laptop what the EEC is doing. I can see my injectors pulse widths, what AFR the EEC is trying to aim for,RPM's, temps, mph, MAF output, O2 sensor output, etc. IMHO without the ability to see how the EEC responses to my changes, I would be tuning in the dark. You can also connect a wideband to it.

I haven't used or even seen in real life an EEC tuner. But I understand you can get another device that will allow you to view what the EEC is doing. Be sure to sign up on both the
    EEC tuner Yahoo group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/EECTuner/

and the Tweecer Yahoo group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tweecer/

They both are very similiar and there is a lot to learn on tuning EEC's.

Have fun tuning
    Craig (GT_4_FUN)

5. turbo54

......cool......

I have never felt in the dark when tuning with an eec tuner, personally. I guess I can see your point if you hear a ping and your interface says it was at 22* timing... I've never had any problem with the tuner though.

I haven't looked in such a long time, whats the price difference between the tuner and the tweecer?