1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need Ideas/Options For Coil Mounting

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 92GreenGT, Nov 26, 2009.

1. 92GreenGT

Installing LQ9 coils on my mustang and I'm wanting ideas/options on what to do. I've currently got a exploder intake on the car and it gives me zero clearance over the valve covers. I REALLY want to mount the coils on the valve covers so I can run the short plug wires from a 2500HD(and the like) trucks. Plus I can tuck all the wiring up beside the intake and make it look real good.

Anyways, my only options right now seems to be putting a 1" spacer(which I don't think will clear the stock hood) or changing my intake. Whatever anyone comes up with it must be able to go under a stock hood because I won't change it. If I do buy a 1" phenolic spacer and it turns out to be too big, can I take it to a machine shop and have it machined down to say 3/4"(or whatever it takes to clear the hood and coils) without any real issues?

Are there any box uppers that fit on a GT40/Exploder/Cobra lower intake? Open to any suggestion, thanks!

2. LowDime

i dont know of any that will fit under the stock hood.

3. LowBoostinT76

Comp cams made or maybe still makes a polymer box upper for stock and gt40/cobra style intakes. That should clear a stock hood. I used to have one but didn't really like it too much cause you could see it flex with boost.

4. 92GreenGT

Well hmm, I'm def not going to change from the stock hood. If I buy a hood it's going to be a fiberglass stock hood, haha. I love my stock hood!!

The TFS box intake is expensive but is a very nice looking piece. Are there any elbows made for those carb turned EFI intakes that will fit under the stock hood?

5. blacksaleen95

I've seen someone mount them in the cowl area, and then just use different wires. Looked pretty trick

6. LowBoostinT76

^^^^this sounds like the way to do it, unless your set on the looks of the short wires and coils on the valve covers.

If your gonna do a carb efi manifold with an elbow look no further than edelbrock for both the intake and elbow. They sell a low profile setup that will fit under a stock hood.
    I have a 351w with a super victor and an elbow and it fits under a non cowl hood, but the hood does bubble up in the middle like the 2000 r hood but it doesn't cowl like the stock r hood. I have pics in my build thread.
    Since your 302 I don't see a problem fitting it with the correct elbow and intake.
    Be sure to get the edelbrock intake that comes ready for efi with fuel injector bungs cast in already.
    How easy hot rodding has become nowadays.

7. qikazz