1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need ideas on turbo 72 torino

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jaredsamurai, Oct 14, 2010.

1. jaredsamurai

A friend of mine at work has a 72 Torino. He's gotta be gettin up around 50 now (haven't asked him) and it was his first car. It came original with a 429. I believe he said its got a c6, d9oe heads, a comp 268h and some Weiand intake. Regardless, its a gas guzzling pig.

Apparently all of my yapping about turbos has gotten to him. The other day he came to me and said he wants to do a turbo smallblock with fuel injection and try to get 18+ mpg. He's no idiot when it comes to cars but he's new to the turbo/FI game.

My suggestion was a 351w, MPT76 Q-trim, built AOD or TKO600, Megasquirt etc... It needs to be a torque monster. Nothin crazy for power. Prolly 5-600whp will be fine. He's not racing the car. Jus a nice running, reliable, efficient car. Won't be revving past 5500rpm.

Once he sells his Fairlane it sounds like he'll be dropping the hammer on this project. It sounds like the budget is possibly up to $10k.

Questions:
    So, how does a 351 cu in with some OTB 170cc heads, 9-9.5 to 1 compression, custom cam sound for these goals?
    Whats a good intake manifold for a FI 351?
    What would be a good single fuel pump to support this power level? (a1000 overkill?)
    Would a B&G 351 hotside for a fox mustang fit this platform?
    How fast will that Q-trim t76 come in on a combo like that?

Any other concerns?
    :cheers:

2. 10secgoal

Nah, don't think A1000 will be overkill. That engine and damn near any cam with 12 psi will hit that goal. That turbo will spool pretty damn fast.
    Serioulsy doubt Brains will fit in there. The crossover goes down low in an area of that car that is cluttered. My 302 headers might work, and you make the rest.

3. jaredsamurai

As for the a1000 being overkill I meant for a car that wont see WOT all that often. Would a controller be necessary? I don't know his driving style but I'm guessing that car won't be needing more than 200hp worth of fuel at any given moment.

As for cam I was thinking that getting a custom cam made could improve gas mileage. Don't need much lift/duration. Maybe a stock HO cam would fit the bill? Pretty much anything off OTS is overkill. Remember that 18mpg is the low goal. Getting 20+ would be superb. Don't no if its possible in a sled that weighs around 4k

I've never seen under the hood so I'm gonna go out on a limb and trust you about the BG CUSTOM TURBO kit Dustin :D

I would love to help make the kit but he lives on the other side of town (1hr drive) and my Syncrowave 300 is less than mobile. He's got a little MIG but has never done more than some muffler jobs anyway. Hell I'm no expert by any definition of the word either. Dustin is it possible for you to build a hotside based off of some pics and rough clearance dimensions? We could figure out the DP and all that easily enuff.

4. 10secgoal

A custom cam for mpg may not be a bad idea. The A1000 won't need a controller if it driven for less than 30 min if under 5gal in the tank (per aero). I ran one for years without one and no problems.

I'm sure I could do one from pics. not the first one. I could even do some of the DP. Problem with me making the crossover is turbo placement. If you make a cheesy bracket with the turbo where you want, and send it here, I could look at pics and make a kit. I'd like to see the pics first. make sure I can do it without an possible problems though.

5. Andy Dorsett

I hate to see a big block come out of a car for a small block. Has he put the math to this? It will cost money to change engines. The C6 will be the big block pattern, the motor mounts, etc. If you turboed the big block for that power level no intercooler would be needed.

6. jaredsamurai

Don't worry he's keeping the big block and c6 to keep all the original parts together. Its not the power he's necessarily after, its the gas mileage. He wants overdrive also. It'll be somethin different to say the least. Hell he even said a stockblock 302 isn't out of the question. 4-450hp is quite a bit more than it has now and the FI combined with small cube will make for much better gas mileage