1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

car runs rich *FOUND IT* I HAVE 5V ON MY SIGNAL RETURN WIRE!

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by lfatty, Jun 25, 2010.

1. lfatty

Hi I just got my efi swap done. But you have to push the pedal down to start it. O2 voltage is 1.06v at idle. The tps is set from .99 closed to 4.66 open. Its a 302 with an explorer intake, no egr, 24lb injs, matching pro-m. It stays rich all the time. When I put it in drive it dies too. It idles at 1000rpm. I have no hose hooked to the pcv. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Its an a9l computer. Thanks if you can help. Oh and also I have 1 o2 sensor. I just have the r and l hego wires connected together and to the signal on the sensor.

2. lfatty

Re: car runs rich

Ok update. The fpr wasn't getting a good vacuum. Fp is 32-33lbs at idle now. It runs a little better but still rich. Ok I checked the ect and the iac sensors and both wires going to each one with the ign on have 4.66volts. Is that right?? The. Tps ground had 5v too. But I fixed it by running another ground. Anyone have a clue??

3. lfatty

Ok I found out I have 5v on the signal return. When I unplug the ect, act, and the bp it drops back down to 0. But if I plug in any one of those sensors it comes right back to 5v. What's the chances all 3 are bad?

4. KenC

Ok, you say you have .99 on TPS at idle and 4.66 at WOT. Then you say your sig. return has 5 volts, can't be. If so, the TPS would not have the above voltages. You said you added a TPS ground, that doesn't sound right because the sig. return connection is inside the PCM. If you are checking the ECT and ACT voltage with the connector off, then the 4.66 volt should be correct if your putting both DVOM probes in the connector terminals. If the sig. return is open the voltage would be zero. However the way to check the sensor is with the connector hooked up and back probe the signal and sig. return wire. With key on that voltage will very between 3+, cold motor to .5 on a hot motor. To verify the sig. return has a complete circuit in the PCM, check continuity between any sig. return wire on the TPS, EVP, ECT, ACT or at the self test connnector and battery ground. If you find it's open, most likely the circuit is damaged in the PCM. If you go the my youtube clip, (badshoeproductions) it shows how to check the TPS and wires going to it. There have been cases where a stick shift PCM is used with an automatic transmission EEC harness causing a short in the sig. return circuit.