1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need help troubleshooting Boost Controller

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Tgbstang90, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Tgbstang90

Twin Turbo kit running 3# springs in the waste gate. Using an aftermarket boost controller that uses dual solenoids and a MAP sensor for controlling boost, also running CO2 with the pressure at 65psi.

With the bottle off, the car makes 3psi as it should. But with the bottle on, I constantly get boost spikes no matter where i have the controller gate pressure set at.

I'm trying to narrow it down between the solenoids or the MAP sensor without throwing a bunch of parts at it, but I think it could be both actually.

Any way to single out one or the other without replacing them?

2. Russell

What controller is it? I am assuming it's closed loop? If it's closed loop I assume it's a PWM. Can you adjust the PID? Can you run it open loop?

3. Tgbstang90

It is a Boost Leash, and it only runs in closed loop that I know of.

4. Russell

I really don't know anything about the boost leash. Is it less than 5 years old?

"Come with 5 year warranty and personal customer support and aid in tuning."

The map sensor is more than likely a 0-5v sensor. Can you probe out put with a volt meter and hook up regulated pressure? Voltage should change with pressure. You should be able to hear the Mac valve I don't know how to test them

I did read that it is commanding gate pressure and not boost pressure. My Holley terminator x has a similar built in boost control. I am cheating and using MAP. It over shoots a couple pounds and spikes pretty good coming off the two step. Until I get another MAP sensor on the gate I went back to open loop, it doesn't spool as fast but it got rid of the spike. A PID loop has to be tuned or it can skipe isolate. I assume your set up and expectations are correct.