1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need Help PLEASE lifter/tick

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Mikes001GT, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Mikes001GT

I have a New motor in my car, Im ticking pretty good on the drivers side Im almost 100 percent sure its not an exhaust leak or injector/coil, it gets louder and more distinct as rpm rises, My motor has only about 100 miles and ive been light tuning it on the street with low boost pulls, lately it wont make full boost and is stuttering hard could a bad lifter cause it to run bad?? Ive been through all the other things like Injector,coils,plugs,vac leaks all good... could a bad lifter be the source???

2. 99TTGT

Do you have any way to post a video ?

3. Mikes001GT

Not really at the moment :-X

4. vgturboman

If its really bad, like causing a cylinder to miss totally you can wait till the engine is fully cold(like in the morning). Then get a squirt bottle with water in it, start the engine and quickly start spraying the headers primarys near the ports. One cylinder will not steam away nearly as fast as the others. If so detected look at that cylinder.

5. 99TTGT

ok
    I could be several things...
    A Little more info,please..

6. PrecisionTurboMustang

Doesn't everyone have a cell phone with a camera in it these days?

7. Mikes001GT

I cant get my vid to post off imageshack, its hard to hear on the video, seems to get worse as the motor warms up, Would it cause stumbling and boost problems if there was a bad lifter??

8. Mikes001GT

My problems are My car will not make boost past 5lbs, when it hits 5lbs it will breakup bad feels like im loosing spark or fuel, Ive gone over all that time after time and cant find anything, I put all new plugs in and gapped them a hair under .30, I put all new coils on to see if it would help-didnt, ive gone over every possibility of a vac leak and can find one anywhere, all my hoses are clamped up tight, pulled the plugs off the injectors with the car running and everytime there a noticible differnce in idle, im so stumped with this one...But I do have a tick on the drivers side that is bothering me so im trying to see if it could be linked anyway to my problem...

9. Mikes001GT

Any Ideas :huh:

10. boosted4.6

Aftermarket Cams?? were they degreed?? Is Cam timing dead on?? Like 99ttgt said "more info please"

11. Mikes001GT

Yes aftermarket turbo cams,Stage 3 MMR assembled the heads/cams to the block so they would def be degreed, Ive been looking over my build sheets and cant find any charges for new Lash adjusters so im thinking the stockers were reused with 90k on them, They were still in the heads when I sent them off...

12. vgturboman

Perhaps you have more than one problem here.

13. Mikes001GT

Probably Ive been trying to find them for so long with no luck yet, one day It ran good then all down hill from there..;.

14. big dave

Forged bottom end? Cracked ring land is always diagnosed as a "tick" that most assume is valvetrain related. Typically boost drops off with a cracked ring land as well.... just a thought. May be way off.

15. Mikes001GT

Fully built bottem end, 100 Miles, Soon im gonna do a leak down test tho you never know I guess...

16. gotageta5oh

Start simple and cheap. Verify what is working correctly.

17. TTPOWER

you never said what you have in the way of tuning..
    I had the same problem on my 97 cobra, a shitty chip with not enough fuel and it was breaking up real bad..