1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

need help on motor to run 10s

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by red92stang, Jul 1, 2008.

1. red92stang

well i have a 92 mustang with 5.0 H.O motor but im thinking of putting in a dart 347ci motor with a T76 turbo. the car is an auto but i will be rebuilding that as needed for the power goal of 500+ RWHP. i am also looking to run it in 10s with this setup but keep it streetable any help on this matter would be greatful thanks

2. testchimp

You can run tens on the stock engine. I would get it turbocharged and running first so that if you make any tuning mistakes your not killing a good engine.

3. cesna150

9's are possible on a stock block so a dart block is way overkill unless money isint an issue. i would do the same thing if i could afford it but my wife says otherwise. :bah:

4. rickyhaiber

If you want peace of mind, I would just refresh it back to stock specs (much much much cheaper than the unnecessary dart block for your goals) so that you know everything is in good condition and you should easily be good for 10s.

I would go with an MPT70 on a refreshed stock shortblock with maybe a cheap set of gt40 heads with the stock cam and an edlebrock or trick flow manifold...and it would run solid 10s and shouldn't give you any trouble like that.

There are tons of other ways to do it, but if I was building a street turbo mustang at this point that would be my route for reaching solid 10s.

In your case your big money for getting it to reliably run 10s will be put into the other parts of the car (trans/rear, suspension and fuel system/tuning)...a stock shortblock overhaul will be rather cheap and well worth the money in my opinion.

I believe there are some good priced kits out there that include "Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, Cam Bearings, Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Oil Pump, Freeze Plugs, Camshaft, Lifters, Pre-lube, and Timing Set, and Valley Pan" for about $600? Not sure if that's correct, but go towards the bottom of this page and take a look as it might be worth looking in to:
    http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitsford.html This same place also offers a cheaper kit that include less parts depending on how far you are looking to rebuild it.

5. polsmy

I was reading an article about a 331 build with a Turbonetics T76 and the builder was commenting that stroking past 325 stroke isn't a good idea because of the increased angularity that greater stroke causes and also can result in oil control issues. You can get to 347 by using a dart block with a large bore and a 325 stroke but with a stock block a 331 might have some advantages when it comes to staying together. The builder was Bennet Racing and the article was very detailed including things like clearences and everything. In the end the motor made 941 HP @ 5500 RPM and 954.2 lb-ft of torque@5000 RPM on 110 octane at 23.3 lbs of boost. On standard fuel(93 octane) it made 710.8 HP @ 6200 RMP and 655.9 lb-ft of torque@ 10.8 psi boost. if you are interested, the article came form the December-February 2003 issues of hot rod and was 3 parts (one each month). I hope that this info helps :cheers:

6. polsmy

Just to clarify the December article is from 2003 the Jan and February are of 2004

7. Kerrdogg

I agree with just a simple rebuild and a set of heads but go with a head design with a thicker deck than stock or GT40 as a safety measure to prevent that head gasket burp.

In the builds section Dman has a post that covers his simple build into a car that ran 10.44 @ 134 mph, stk motor with Dart SR's and a Cobra intake. He had a few slip ups along the way, unplugged fuel pump, loose boost reference line, the motor took a beating but never let go, this was through an AODE and 3.08 gears in a full weight car with 0 suspension mods, same package in a race prepped stang would have been real interesting.