1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need help finding the right turbo!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Jessec87x, May 4, 2014.

1. Jessec87x

I started off the season with a brand new dart 427 from fordstrokers. I had a vortech last year and wanted to try a turbo. I bought the on3 76mm kit. I have a AED 750 blow thru. I made 593rwhp at 9psi with a c4. That's all the boost I could make. I went to the track and went 9.78@137mph. I tried to make more boost and it would go to 15psi on the T brake but going down track would only make 9. Now my times have slowed to 10.1s @135mph. We hooked up a gauge to check the back pressure and we quickly learned it was maxed out. Over 30psi. I'm trying to figure out what is a good turbo that will allow me to really use my 427. Also that will fit my original set up or little fab work. My budget is around 1500-2000 for the new turbo.

2. str5010

I bought a car that has a 440 BBM with the same turbo and knowing that the car would be limited by the turbine I picked up a T6 S475 with the 96mm turbine wheel as a stop gap after learning how affordable it was on this forum <$700. I haven't been able to fab it up yet though to test it out. I looked at the compressor map and it will work for my application since I'm not trying to go 8's though people have gone mid 8's with the S475 on smaller motors. If I want to expand down the road Forced Inductions said I could send it back and have it modified to hold an 80mm compressor wheel.

What I think is interesting though is just how quick/fast you managed to go even with such low boost/high back pressure. Considering what you read on this particular forum I think that would surprise a lot of people. I notice quite a few posts where people claim you need huge turbos just to make the car run because you mentioned 400+ c.i. displacement or big block.

3. pound4pound

For your 427 I would look hard and long at a s480 with the t6 1.32 housing with the 96mm turbine wheel

4. Jessec87x

I agree friends and I were shocked it went into the 9s second pass ever with the new setup. All my times now are 10.05-10.1. Not sure what happened. We didn't change anything. My 60' stays in 1.5s for some reason and my trap speed dropped 3mph. I have heard so many different opinions on which route to go. Just trying to get all the replys I can. Really don't want to make the same mistake twice. image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

5. str5010

Just because I'm curious, what rear was in the car? Or is all this info in a build thread anywhere?

6. Jessec87x

No it's not. I'm new to the forums lol. It's a built 8.8 with 4.10s. It was a 5 speed car. Did not change gears until I ran the car. I'm at 6600 crossing the stripe. Going to put 3.55s in it

7. str5010

Ah ok yeah that makes sense. I was wondering how high it was turning by the stripe. I have 3.55s in my car and am looking forward to seeing how it goes. If you can fit that S480 that the other poster mentioned it would be nice. Talk to the guys at Forced Inductions on here for their input.

8. Jessec87x

I'm sure my 60' will get much better with the 3.55s I just can't figure out what happened to my current times . Wonder if I killed the on3 turbo lol

9. sarg

The 480 will be better but still I think will be limiting on the turbine. Just my .02

10. Jessec87x

Yea that's what I was told. A friend of mine is very knowledgable with turbos and he thinks I'm gonna have to kinda make my own up.

11. sarg

Considered twins? I mean with twins you can still find some pretty cheap turbos that would get the job done.

12. Jessec87x

I feel like I will have zero room for twins! Ithunk I only have room for a T4. Unless I really get into cutting my car up?

13. sarg

What car?

14. Jessec87x

89 lx

image.jpg #ad

15. Mnlx

What heads, and cam?

16. Jessec87x

Vic jr heads and a custom comp cam

17. pound4pound

image.jpg #ad

Guys put twins on the stangs all day long. Why not call someone like reed p at work turbo or Jose at supernatural turbo they can spec u a single that would work for you

image.jpg #ad

18. Jessec87x

For anyone that cares I ended up going with the Garrett GTX5018r 88mm. Should be here by friday. Will post pics of install if I can figure out how to make it fit!!

19. Mnlx

That is quite an upgrade from the on3 76mm...lol What made you choose that turbo? Recommendation from someone? It will be a totally different ride with a proper turbo.

20. Jessec87x

MMR was selling 2 of them for dirt cheap ( IMO ) $4500 complete turbo for $2500 brand new. So I would say good bang for my buck? Im very excited to really get down the track like the car was intented to!