1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Will these be enough?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by oin8io, Mar 5, 2008.

1. oin8io

Im looking at changing from a big single to a twin setup on my Ford Lightning. I want something that will spool quickly on the street and produce good power. Im thinking about a pair of garrett t3/60-1 w/ .63 ar exhaust housing to keep the spool up and have the ability to make 900+ on higher boost levels. What do you all think? I have a built motor ported heads, mmr turbo cams..

2. xr8tt

I have T3/4 hybrids on my 330 ci engine.. They choke alittle at 6000 rpm @ 670 rwhp..
    If you want to keep internal gates?
    Consider GT30/40 R ???

3. oin8io

I am not looking to keep internal gates. I don't like the way they look. Im honestly even thinking about going with a garrett t3/t04e 57mm. I think at the elevation im at they will spool great and still make good power. They have been 950rwhp on a 2v mustang. Im just wondering since i have a few more cu/in then they do should i stick with the same 57 or go to a 60-1?

4. Gen1SVE

That 76gts is not a big single. An S400, or any larger t-6 based turbo is a big single. Why do you want to swich from the single set up? First Gen or Second Gen? I am going to go from a 74gtsh to a s480 after I freshen up my bottom end on my first gen. If you are set on twins to fit the criteria you set I would look at a pair of GT30/35R's

5. enyawix

900+ on what block? That would kill my 1995 Lightning block.

6. tokes

Yeah 950 RWHP SAE/STD corrected when you're at a billion feet of altitude where the dyno grossly over corrects. Run some T4-frame turbos, like a pair of T4 60-1's with P-trim wheels. You can't just run a massive compressor and then choke off the exhaust side and think a big downpipe or wastegate will make up for it. Whatever you flow into the motor through the compressor has to flow OUT of the motor via the exhaust :)

7. 302andsome

Sounds too small to me. You'll spool quick as hell but your topend will be shot. T4 62-1's would be my choice. Where are you spooling at now? I wouldn't think it's too much past 3k.

8. 1turbo_or2

it looks like he has a 5.4 lightning since he mentioned he had turbo CAMS.

9. oin8io

Yes i have a 2001 lightning. The block will be fine well past 900 hp. corrected or not. I think i have chosen to go with a pair of pt61's with t4 housings. There are three different exhaust wheels i can choose from. a 76, 69 and 52 or something like that and i think ill go wiith the 69. and a .58 ar on the exhaust side. If it spools too slow then i will think about sending the turbos back to be reconfigured into a "sc61" and see if that makes a difference. I think they will be fine with t4 housings tho. Any other ideas?

10. wrxineffects

what about twin 67's or 70's they i think wouold work well with the cubic inch and not be laggy