1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How much boost can you run non intercooled?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by 71/454, Sep 22, 2008.

1. 71/454

I run my setup, sbc with twins at 12 psi any more and it will detonate. I was thinking about running an intercooler so I could turn up the boost. After looking around a bit for other setups I see alot of guys running one big single into the top of the carb non intercooled and saying they are running boost levels of 21 +/-. I would like to run more boost, is my detonation just too much timing, 22*, or am I missing something?

2. king coupa

i think you could try water/meth injection but im just gonna sit and wait for a reply just like you

3. TurboSnake95

90% likely they are running race gas (C16) to attain the 21 +/- PSI with no intercooler.

Even with an intercooler you will only be running a max of 15 PSI +/- on 92/93 octane pump gas. water/meth might give you a few more PSI above that.

Keep in mind this is just from my experience running a Dart 331 and a T76.

Maybe give us more info about your car? what gas are you running? etc. Im sure others with close setups to yours will chime in.

William

4. L.C.B.E

i have seen engine buildups in magazines where the 305 likes to detonate N.A. i like methanol injection, cools the air and adds octane, works with an intercooler aswell. good luck

5. nealysa

To make an educated comment we would have to know more about what is happening inside your cylinder chambers. Basically when your IVO, IVC, EVO, and EVC occur. Plus what type (material) heads you have.

6. Ssmonte408

I agree with that, in my experience with 305's they are a very touchy motor. I could never get much out of the old stocker 305 in my monte without it pinging like crazy. water/meth will probably get you a couple more psi, but i'd be saving for a 350 personally.

7. 71/454

My engine is a bone stock iron headed 305.
    I never put too much thought into the fact that it may just be the 305. There is a guy on here running a 305 chevy in a mustang with a giant single and high boost though, that was got my thought process rolling.
    I run pump gas 91/92 octane whichever I can get, but nonetheles pump gas.
    The 305 was used more of an experiment to see if all this junk I put together would actually work. It's an ebay turbo kit, so I wasn't really confident in it working. I have plans for a 350 and an intercooler this winter.

8. Bad Medicine Racing

WELL, I have an iron headed 377 sbc with what some might think of as a "Giant" single (TV81/71) going straight into the carb, and it is fine at 12psi and rattles at 15 on pump gas (93). This is with 38* total locked timing and my box set to pull 1.2* per pound for a total of 23.6* at 12 and a total of 20 at 15psi. I am gonna try the meth injection because I don't want to cut on my Malibu to put an A/A intercooler on it.

9. AIS

Need a meth system. Be sure to check out our rear all-in-one trunk mount systems if you haven't already. If you have any questions or need help selecting a systems and nozzle sizing feel free to give me a call directly at 801.447.2559.

Rodney

10. Bad Medicine Racing

Maybe you could PM a fellow TTF member a "special price" on a fenderwell mounted basic kit and a price on a basic trunk kit? :D

11. onefastermonte85

eh.. i ran 17#'s with meth and 93 non intercooled. I had some issues. I think i may put more 110 in her and then try it.