1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need advice on a GOOD torque converter company

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by truestreet5.8, Jun 19, 2004.

1. truestreet5.8

I am looking for some feedback from people who have had very good luck with a torque converter company making a good turbo converter. I just want to call a place give them my combo and get a converter that works right the first time. (Not to loose not to tight) What brand converter that is a good quality can you get for around 1K? Who seems to be the masters at building turbo specific converters? I have a Tranz-King C-4 with a 9 1/2" right now but was told I would probably have to go to a 10" to get it tight enough. This is for a 358 with a 76GTS. Thanks

2. TurboSN95

3. turbostang

If you'll remember - the converter I ended up with is actually a 9.5" With your motor operating in a wider operating range than mine, it is possible that my old converter would work fine in your car...The reason we were told 10" is due to the operating range (cause mainly by the cam) So - Generaly speaking you could use a looser converter than what I am forced to use.. make sense?

4. Kwik92GT

That's who I was thinking of but he'll pay more than 1g for one of those, but you get what you pay for.

If you don't want to spend the cabbage for a Chance converter I'd have to recommend TCT converters. Torque Converter Techniques

5. Timmy2734

6. snoopstang

7. BigRy

Thats who did mine. They have a real good repetoir on Corral also. Andre is awesome when it comes to converters.

Precision Industries makes great converters also. But hefty in the price tag area.

8. truestreet5.8

Thanks for the response guy's! Looks like I have plenty of places to check out now.

9. ricky

TCI also makes some real nice converters:)

10. truestreet5.8

My main agenda here is to get it right the first time and to not have to keep pulling the trans to get it re stalled all the time to get it right. I am looking for a company who is very knowlegable on "turbo" converters. Definatly have a good place to start here. Thanks!

How much are neal chance convertors anyways?

11. ShaneH

A chance bolt together will run you $1895. There is no such thing as a "one time" turbo converter, silly boy. LOL.

Speaking of.........just broke my 2nd converter in 8 passes. :(

12. truestreet5.8

I know but I am not trying to get every last 1/2 hp avalible. I just want something that is close. If I have to send it back once then so be it. My friend turbostang has pulled his transmission around 5 times already not to mention changing to a differant converter to try to get it right. I think he is part owner in the transmission fluid company he buys from now. LOL

I would buy a neal chance one but I am trying not to spend to much on this C-4 because I will be switching to a glide sometime soon. Thanks

13. ShaneH

For a C4, PTC is going to have the best chance at hitting it the first time. We did a lot of testing with their stuff for a very similar combo to what you're running so they have a good bit of data to go on. Call and ask for Kenny or Lane. Tell them you have a similar setup to what we ran in Tony Strong's car with the C4.

14. Zoomer

We currently run a PTC and they have taken care of us pretty well. If we had the BIG $$ we would go to a Neal Chance bolt together, mainly for the serviceablity.