1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

New to gas, not new to performance

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Turbo Aviation, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Turbo Aviation

Hello all!

I come from the diesel performance world. Up until recently I have been building a pseudo race truck from a 2002 Ram 2500. I have been at it for far too long and have totally lost my lust for the project. I also have not been happy about where the diesel industry is and where it's headed. I am now parting out that entire project to go in a new direction.

I have light experience with gas engines, but over all am pretty green behind the ears. I am just about to pull the trigger on a 1956 Studebaker Commander Wagonaire. The car is totally original and in excellent shape. Runs, drives, passes inspection and drives like a dream. Needs a little TLC, but is ultimately pretty straight. It's very unique and I have never seen another. I love classic cars and the people that surround them. I plan on leaving that car alone for the most part for a while (in college and busy) but have some ideas for where I'd like to go.

I don't ever plan on turning it into a full on race car, but would like a solid street build I can have fun with and run at the track whenever I feel like it. I have a fairly straight forward idea I would like to go with, but would like a little advice. I have some parts from parting out the truck that might be really useful with the plans and want to know if they're worth keeping for later use. Here's what I am thinking.

5.3 LS1 out of a tahoe
    4l80e trans from somewhere
    Z06 cam
    Head studs
    valve springs
    Standalone CPU (brand? Thoughts?)
    8.8 ford rear end (lighter or better options?)
    I have an almost brand new billet S475/87/.90 t4 turbo on the truck, would that transfer over well? I also have a turbo smart waste gate
    A1000 fuel system I also have from the truck
    Tuning from local well known corvette shop (LS likes low timing and high boost, correct?)
    Fab work and time of course
    Upgraded brakes

The goal would be a reliable 7-800 hp and around a mid to high 9 second quarter capable car on a budget. Yes, I am aware most of this never ends up being cheap, but I am fairly good and finding deals. I would like to be able to take the car out every weekend and not worry about it. I would drive it easy probably 85% of the time with the occasional fun. I'd like to be able to take my girlfriend to the movies and not worry about having to get a ride home because the engine melted itself. Although, it will not be a daily driver.

Look forward to what I can learn here. I have really liked every forum I have been a part of. I do my best to soak in and listen as much as I possibly can.

2. Turbo Aviation

Not sure if I can edit on here.

I meant to say 1965 Studebaker. Not 1956

3. M&M Turbochargers

i think your t4 s475 will work pretty good on a 5.3

4. Turbo Aviation

Good to know. Was hoping I could keep it for use. It's a great turbo.