1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ned some opinions / input on a job offer.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by Mike86Stang, May 14, 2014.

1. Mike86Stang

I have a job offer on the table from a company that came to me to increase productivity. The job would require 10 more hours per week starts an hour earlier and ends an hour later then my current job. Right now I'm working 45 hours a week and working every 2nd saturday. The new job would be 2 more hours a day for 5 days then every third saturday , but getting off earlier during that week.

I'm confident in saying if i stayed in my current job, that I would never have to worry about losing my job. However to "advance" in my current job, I would have to take a cut in pay to make a lateral move to a another part of the business to advance in the future. Which could be 3-5 years.

This new job, i'm unsure of the job security, but it would double my yearly salary. They don't have the best record for retention but this is something else they need me to address, but still worries me. I have had 100% retention for the last 6 years running, I don't see this as being too much of a problem other then worrying about my own hide. I also know the owner to be a bit of a bear to work for.With this new job, I should be at triple my income and be a partner within that same 3-5 years, but I would be working 60-70 hours weekly.

Now for the family side of things.. I have to maintain insurance on my kids due to some health issues my youngest daughter has. Switching jobs would mean I would have to put them on COBRA for 3 months which is horribly expensive. The other part of it is that I'm not even sure I'd be willing to invest 60-70 hours weekly regardless of the income..

So what's your take on it?

2. 91turboterror

The grass always to seem greener on the other side. 60 - 70 hrs when do you see your family? Double your salary and the chance to advance is good though.

3. Mike86Stang

Well that's exactly why I wanted an unbiased view / opinion.

Ex has the kids I only get them once every 2 weeks so.. other then the girlfriend.. visiting friends / parents on weekends that's it.

4. Disney Lincoln

I had a 50-60hr/wk job a few years ago and I still managed some sort of personal life. I had an hour drive to and from work too!

Would the new place be receptive to a contract? If you're worried about turn over, put a contract in place that they can't fire you for petty reasons or perceived performance shortfalls.

I would certainly consider this job at any rate. Don't burn any bridges where you are at now in case you need to come back. Also... See if they would bump your pay to keep you.

5. Drac0nic

I'm getting very convinced that the "shit you own ends up owning you" philosophy applies to jobs as well. I'm not discounting what Disney is saying, but I believe he was a single guy a few years ago and it makes quite a big difference. A couple dogs and/or kids on top of things make it a way different dynamic especially if your wife works too, or she does not pitch in a ton.

Besides the hours, will it end up being a lot of travel? I travel locally, but I can assure you it's very hard and it takes a special kind of person to do it long term. I'm 95%+ travel right now, and am looking to get out. It is a hard grind.

Insurance is a huge thing, it could be a deal breaker. Be sure you do the math, figure out what kind of hit you're taking and if they offer permanent insurance after 90 days. That should be part of any offer letter you get.

Cash and time are valuable. I miss out on a lot of shit chasing the gold. I work 50/wk typically, between my son, the dogs, all the peripheral shit I have to do and the fact my job is invasive to my days off it makes it difficult at times for me to get anything done. For example I've been trying for 2 weeks to get a couple brake lines installed, which would have made me way happier than the 3-4 hours OT I got yesterday doing compulsory quarterly training on my day off.

In terms of your prospective future boss, if there's professionalism issues forget it. Not having a boss I can talk to makes me fucking miserable. It's a big reason my last job isn't the job I'm at now. Part of that can be personality, on both sides. If it's going to be an issue, I would advise asking lots of questions and see if you can live with what he/she is offering. If it's the owner they largely define corporate culture which is critical for you. All the money in the world won't make you feel better unless you're the rich dude from Duck Tales and can swim in it or something.

jmoffitt likes this.
  6. turboeverything

If it were me I would stay where you are at..
    I also have kids and working long hours can really make it hard..
    That's my short take on the subject..
    Hope it helps

7. ThomasWPT

The red flag for me would be the new job's owner being difficult to work with.

8. Mnlx

I'm another that worked 55-70 hrs/week for 15 years, and now have a 40-45 hr job with a pay cut, and great benefits. After having more time for myself, and family I wouldn't go back unless it was a necessity. All depends on how important time, and job security is too you.

9. 74chlngrTT5.9

I worked for a family owned shop for many years. I stayed at the shop knowing that I was at the lower range of my value for the stability. I had chronic medical issues so keeping quality medical insurance was the key point. If as you have stated your child has medical issues that are consistently required that is your answer there. Medical insurance stability for your child only.

Additional question would be, if you were to go to the new place and it did not work out. How confident are you in being able to get another replacement position?
    Just throwing an arbitrary # out. Working for an entire year to make 40K is better than having a 60K annual job and only working 6 months of it.

Additionally, if you are spending more time working and on the road, you have less time for every thing else. If you own a home you end up paying everyone else to fix and repair things. Cars included. Working excessive hours can end up costing you more.

I speak from experience on this I finally left the previous shop (27 years worth @ mostly 11-13 hrs a day), Work less, make the same salary and have more money in my pocket because I have time to fix my own shit. Additional bonus is time with family. They are only young once.

Good luck on your decision.
    Mike.

jmoffitt likes this.
  10. Mike86Stang

Well I made my decision this weekend and I decided to pass on it. I can't justify the amount of hours vs the pay and all the other BS that comes with a new job. That's not to say I want to stay where I'm at , but this job just wasn't a good fit for me.

I agree with you guys about the whole time issue. I work 45 work weeks now and I'm strapped for time, so I can't see giving up more time then I am currently. Besides, I have to admit my girlfriend brought up a lot of good points, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice what little time we have together.

Thanks to everyone for your input! It's greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

jmoffitt likes this.
  11. Drac0nic

Good philosophy, if you're in a good spot find something that's right not right now.

12. 74chlngrTT5.9

Congrats on the decision.

Luck as I define it is being prepared for the opportunity when it arises.
    There will be others that will fit.