1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Narrowing late model 8.6

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Br396, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Br396

Anybody know if u can narrow a late model gm 8.6 and use 12 bolt 30 spline Camaro axles .

2. fritznh

I don't know about that, but it might be less expensive to buy a narrowed rear. Especially if someone has one they want to get rid of and would cut you a deal.....like on a 9in Ford housing with Mark Williams axles and a spool. Just sayin....

Br396 likes this.
  3. Br396

I would say that is a better option but prob above my price level for the street build I was planning . I have a rearend I scooped up out of a wreck a couple of years ago that is too wide I was hoping I could just shorten the tubes and throw some axles in since the are both 30 spline and would match my five lug pattern instead of the six lug . After searching Craigslist I’ll prob just go with an exploder rear

4. Disney Lincoln

I don't see why you couldn't especially if you already have axles that will fit. Just measure thedifference between the old and new and cut that out of the tubes and weld it back up.

5. Mike21

I narrow 2-3 rears a month and do a lot of 10 bolt 8.5 inch rear and have been fast w a 10 bolt. They actually have a bigger pinion support then a 12 bolt. I do not know if the 12 bolt parts will work but i do know that it u should really use a jig to make sure the axle ends stay true! Depending on how much u want to narrow u can use ur existing axles and just trim them. I know that 12 bolts and 10 bolts use the same end but the bearing diameter on the end varies among 10 bolts. Donk and trucks use a larger diameter.
    See the large Steele bar through the rear. I have pucks that go in place of the bearings to make sure the axles stay true to each other. Also if u r racing 9” ends are way better!
    181B4850-C034-4021-8F2A-DAF2ED7A3C93.jpeg #ad
    7318E6B0-DBC8-4070-8145-6195E195A914.jpeg #ad
    E6A9105F-4873-4948-BAD3-29D1190B40FD.jpeg #ad

Disney Lincoln likes this.