1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How fast on AFR185s?-twin T70s-393w?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by turbodgumby, Feb 23, 2010.

1. turbodgumby

Hey guys got a expereince question. How fast have you guys gone on out-of the box AFR185s?

I have a set now and have a stock 351w in my '95 Lightning with a Single 76GTSH. Been 10.88@123 on 16psi on that configuration.

Am starting to put together a twin kit with a pair of re-flow MPT-70 turbos with .68 exh. housings, and a 393w( 8.5:1).

Question is how well do yall think the little 185s are gonna work on the added airflow? All input is helpful guys!! Thanks.

And not looking for a peak number I want a flat curve more than peak numbers the truck weighs 4430# track weight!!

2. Stroked-Z

Your heads are way too small......lotsa boost will make them rock & roll but its not a very good match. More head, less boost, less inlet temps, more timing, more power....in that order.

-Carm

3. turbodgumby

Suggestion? Thought about just porting them but in the end thats like $700-$900 for a good port job.

4. 10secgoal

If your looking to pour money into them, ditch them and port some Vic Jr's. Think that would be a better start.

5. Stroked-Z

Sell the heads, jam the biggest head you could possibly afford & hold the phuck on!

-Carm

6. RyanMayo

Pretty sure this exact question has been answered before, (how fast on 185s.) IIRC, the fastest member here with those heads was superpwt who went about 8.60 and 160 give or take in a notchback. Think that was with a 76GTSH too. So there's absolutely a lot of potential there.

7. BlackMagic94

135.55 mph and had lots more left in them on my 306 C4 setup at 3518 lbs on a single T76 Ptrim at 18 psi at 5800 DA.

8. 10secgoal

Think maybe it was a GTS ? Don't remember. Did cross my mind, but he is a rarity and it wasn't in a 4400lb truck !! lol

9. brianj5600

I don't think the 185s will hold you back too much as long as the cam is right. It will probably not go much past 5500. If the cam is right with the 185s and you step up in heads w/o getting a cam to let it make power at higher RPM you probably will be disapointed.

10. RyanMayo

You know I actually not really sure on that; prob shouldn't have mentioned it unless I knew. Hopefully he'll post in this thread. And I agree turbodgumby couldn't match that pace, I just wanted to illustrate the potential in the combo.

11. turbodgumby

I can get a set of Vic Jrs. for good price.

12. turbodgumby

only going 6200rpm max..... still stock '95 block

13. LowBoostinT76

I'm sure bigger will be more efficient but why not run what you got first?
    Try them out.
    Unless you find a great deal in the meantime.

14. underpsi68

Superwpt 8.59 @ 163-164mph 3200lbs. Single GTS 76 OTB AFR 185's with springs matched for the cam. Crossed the line at 8100+rpm in a 342. :2thumbs:

15. Stroked-Z

And what you dont read, is all the work done in the heads. A stock 185cc port would probably need A LOT of boost to MPH that high in a 3200# car. Boost is a restriction, with that restriction comes heat in the air charge which for your average joe, will create a hard tuning window & less power per psi.

Im assuming by using a PAIR of MP T70s like i did, you will want this motor to rock & roll, like mine did. In that case, size the head accordingly.

-Carm

16. RyanMayo

I see little reason to think the heads have been worked on. I don't know that, but just running some simple numbers, a 342 with a solid roller and 185s could definitely make 450hp naturally aspirated, maybe better. Add 20psi and you're close to 1100hp, which is what precision rates a 76GTS at. At 3200lbs 1100hp is at least close to enough to run those times, so I guess if anything I'd be suspicious of the weight? Or maybe fuel? :huh:

17. underpsi68

AFR's right from AFR. No work was done on the heads. Boost was 25lbs. Turbo was WAY past it's useful flow as well as the intercooler and 2 1/2" cold piping. BUT it did run the # and is was 3200lbs. C14 or C16 fuel with meth injection. Hopefully Nick will see this. I know the car well. No BS.

18. turbodgumby

OK guess I may try them out and see how it does?? Thanks Guys!!

19. ash

yeeh ?
    biggest head ????
    i think a engine that makes plenty of torque would be better, due to the size / weight of the vehical.
    the slightly smaller head would increase port speed to allow more torque , lower in the rev range.
    max revs isn't much either , 6200-6500 or stated ??
    so , the 185cc , i think would go just nicely.. :D

20. MONTEGOD7SS

I questioned that too. Why people think a grossly oversized head for the same engine NA is going to run great when a turbo is brought into the picture. High torque, quick reving, clean running NA engines make badass turbo engines, while sluggish, over cammed, over headed ones don't.