1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My turbo Sea-Doo RXP

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by engineermike, Feb 3, 2008.

1. engineermike

I just finished building and am in the tuning process now. It's not as easy as a car, where you add air, then add fuel, then have fun. So far, I've run 77.4 mph on the GPS with it on the stock ECM, stock engine, and stock nozzle. I did that at a hair over 10 psi boost at 8100 rpm (limiter is at 8200). So, before up'ing the boost, I need to add some fuel and then find a way to decrease rev's.

Spec's are:
    2004 Sea-Doo RXP
    Garrett T3 60 trim turbo out of an SVO mustang
    XSPower intercooler
    TurboXS BOV
    SVO 42 lb/hr injectors (stock are 39)
    Riva intake grate
    Solas 15/20R prop

2. SNYPER

That thing is cool!!!! You may need to have a custom inpeller built for you to get the rpms down.

Travis

3. Robert1320

That is what I was thinking. It may need to prop change.

4. engineermike

Solas offers 3 props for this ski - 13/18, 14/19, and 15/20. I already have the tallest one available and tweaked the trailing edge a tad. You can have them re-pitched for $75, but you can only re-pitch the tip, not the root of the blade, so they lose some efficiency. Another method of lowering rpms is to reduce the size of the jet nozzle. Stock is 83.5 mm. I think I'm going to weld up one of my spares and cut it to 80 mm and see what happens.

5. Robert1320

Check the pump to prop clearance too.
    If it can be tightened that will help also.

6. AlexL

How is the acceleration on this beast? Must be crazy! Nice work.

7. engineermike

Yea it has ridiculous acceleration. I think it's somewhere around 250 hp right now with only 1000 lb of weight. 4 lb/hp puts it on par with my 9 second Z28!

8. engineermike

Did some more testing today. I borrowed a Riva ECU, which has a higher rev limiter (8650 rpm vs. 8200 stock) and controls larger 50# injectors (stock is 39). That fixed both my problems. I was able to raise the boost up to 13 psi and I got 80.9 mph on the GPS at 8500 rpm. I probably could have squeezed out 1-2 psi more boost and got 82-83, but figured I was lucky enough to get what I got without blowing anything up, so I called it quits.

Mike

9. xssive99

Bad ass ride. I miss my xp

10. Think3205

that's sick, i'd love to ride something like that...

11. xtbird302x

It would be nuts to go that fast on a jet ski. Sounds fun. You don't have any heat issues with the turbo being enclosed under the seat? Seems like it would get hot and start melting stuff. I know most stock exhaust have some type of water cooling to keep the heat down. BTW good work, those things are possibly the worst type of vehicle to work on. I know the few I have messed with have a few sparks plugs, nuts, and bolts that disappeared into the black hole under the motor. Along with the look at it, then work blindly because there ins't enough room to actually look at what your doing. Then again those were older 2 stroke 2 seaters, newer ones may be better.

12. engineermike

Heat has been by biggest concern on the build. For the time being, I jacketed all the exhaust tubing, installed a turbo blanket, and opened up ventilation where ever I could. I haven't had any problems so far, but you can feel the heat on the fiberglass and plastic near the turbo. When I switch it out for a GT3071 later on, I'm going to build a 2 piece bolt-on stainless jacket to go over the exhaust housing, which should solve the problem for good.

Mike

13. 99TTGT

any videos?

14. engineermike

Not of mine, but you can find some turbo RXP videos by searching youtube.

15. blowncobrar

Bad Ass!!

16. BLWN1

I need vids

17. engineermike

Not mine, but one just like it:

18. fash00

That is NASTY

19. engineermike

New Garrett GT32 on the way! The 24 year old turbo will be replaced soon.

20. spyder1337

Badass ride man.