1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My Series III 1999 Firebird 3.8 v6 turbo build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by jamesklyne, Aug 29, 2012.

1. jamesklyne

I bought a 1999 Firebird from a coworker for $400 dollars. It had oil and coolant mixing, so figured it may be the intake gaskets (bad on these motors). I swapped them out but the motor ended up seizing after a short while.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I bought some wood to build jackstand extensions from home depot. Loaded them in my utility vehicle :doh:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Lifted the car up and dropped the motor out of the bottom.

[​IMG]#ad

The new motor came out of a 2008 Buick Lacrosse

[​IMG]#ad

I had to strip it down to pretty much a long block, lots of unusable parts. I swapped over the old motors lower intake and installed all new gaskets.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I figured while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and do an under k member turbo kit too.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

It runs fairly strong at the current 4-5 psi of boost I have it at. I want to add water injection, FMIC, BOV, bigger injectors and fuel pump.

Not sure what to use to tune. HP Tuners stuff looks awesome but pricey. I also need to sort out the PCV system and fix some leaky valve covers.

VIDEO:

http://youtu.be/ApmsXs92dKM

2. jamesklyne

Some more random pics I have of the process:

Oil feed line

[​IMG]#ad

turbo to throttle body

[​IMG]#ad

Parts painted with some high temp blah blah

[​IMG]#ad

another angle of the motor

[​IMG]#ad

3. denmah

intercool that thing and have someone tune it, i have a friend with a FWD cutlass that makes 450whp!

put a th400 behind it before that 60e blows haha

4. Ackbar00

Pretty sweet!

5. Forcefed86

E85 or 100% meth injection would go a long way!

Nice to see some other V6's out there. Cheap LC2 3.8 build went 10.06 last year. :2thumbs:

6. M&M Turbochargers

:corn:cool build , we just picked up a 95 trans am

7. mustang024

Glad to see you back at it! Your 3.8 mustang build is what inspired me to build mine. I am going to be running a hy35 as you did on monoxides setup. :2thumbs:

8. dmoss69

OH YEAH!!!

I'm signed up for this one, I've always wanted to see some more v-6's in action.

Anyone have any idea how much power can the stock 3800 stand?

:corn: