1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My sbc turbo rx7 is coming along

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by wgsr-1, Oct 16, 2007.

1. wgsr-1

I posted this in the GM section, but guess it should have been in the builds section. Finally got some descent progress, and just have to show you guys. This is my first turbo build, so be nice.
    Specs are

406sbc with canted valve Trick Flows
    s400 with 1.10 a/r
    Strip Dominator, found it to be alot shorter than a Vic Jr.
    9.2 to 1 comp.
    xe284 hydraulic flat tappet
    A1000 pump with matching regulator -12 supply,-10 return
    60mm wastegate
    4 inch downpipe, and exhaust, first did 3.5, but Dave said 4 inch, so I redid it.
    t-56 6 speed

Crappy cell phone pic, but you get the idea. Will post detailed pics in a day or so. This is a street car, with 245 nitto drag radials, not really looking for crazy e.t. just a fun ride. Would like about 600 to the tires. Hope it makes it. Thanks Steve

ATT1047489.jpg #ad

DSCF0738.JPG #ad

2. MustangMitch

Other than the hood thats freaking sweet!

3. flyinhillbilly

i thought you were going to go rear mount? that thing should be a freaking animal in the lower rpms, and should spool stupid fast, keep us updated. :2thumbs:

4. wgsr-1

Yeah, I actually removed the gas tank and mocked up the rear mount on it with the 383, then said screw it, and took a week vacation, built a 406, and did it this way. I think it turned out much better. I have alot more pics on my camera, but here at work I can't load them. When I ordered my turbo from Dave, I told him it was mainly street, and a standard, so he recommended the 1.10 so I would have no lag.

The hood is now glassed in, and you can't see the seam anymore. I kinda like it. It was my alternative to a cowl hood. I think the ram-air gives is more of a sporty look than a racecar look.

5. montelius

Very cool! That thing will get down!

6. wgsr-1

Well guys I am very happy to say that it is alive. :D I'm sorry I haven't posted any progress pics, but I'm not any good at that. I called Kevin and ordered a carb, he said that it was about 8 weeks wait, so I whipped up my own for now, till it shows up. I even built a BRPV like in Brents posts, and am happy to say that it seems to work excellent. According to my LM-1 everything is happy. I haven't stood on it yet, but I will say that there is no turbo lag, and with about 3 pounds of boost -no boost gauge, just going by fuel pressure- this thing is planting you in the seat, and it is starting to pull hard. It seems to be deceptively smooth. I think I struck a good combo for a street car with a 406 a six speed, and a 1.10 s400, and of course under 3000lbs. :2thumbs: Here is a more recent pic of what it looks like under the hood. I couldn't have done it without this site, and that green button. I have probably read most of Kevins posts, Brents posts, and Robert1320 posts. and of course Flyinhillbillys posts for that refreshing "quitcherbitchinangeterdun" attitude. Thanks guys, I am sure you are helping other people that you don't even know about. I will try to get a video up.

Thanks again, Steve

under hood 001.JPG #ad

7. mike1174

Very cool, love the rx 7 with small blocks , a turbo makes it even better.

8. flyinhillbilly

sounds like it's coming along good, are you planning on getting some dyno numbers?

9. wgsr-1

Too much money and work not to dyno it. I am waiting for my carb, then I will take it to the dyno. I had my timing at 12* and it seemed a little lazy letting the clutch out from a dead stop, but when the rpm's got up a little, it was fine. I just figured that it needed more timing, so I yanked the distributor and locked it out. Much better. I havent
    hooked up the boost retard yet, so I just locked it out at 28*. Also, after a few quick runs up the road and back I popped the hood and noticed gas dripping out of the throttle shafts. I probably won't be driving it much now, I don't want to burn the car down. What gets me is that the LM-1 wasn't showing very rich at all, and I had gas dripping. Doesn't seem right does it?

10. flyinhillbilly

your pressurising the throttle shafts with air and fuel, some will work it's way out unless you boost reference them, i'm working on a way to do it right now, but i'm still waiting on some carb parts before i can see if i'm on track or not.