1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My remote turbocharged 2000 Explorer 5.0

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Explorer5.0, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Explorer5.0

I just wanted to show off my DIY remote build. The truck is an AWD 2000 5.0 Explorer- I like to think of it as an AWD SUV Mustang. This truck actually was lifted with tube bumpers, safari rack, and 32" ATs on 20" wheels just a few months ago- it has undergone a big transformation here lately. It is now lowered slightly in the front with the rear at stock height(with sagging springs). I kept the same wheels but put smaller tires on them and added 2" spacers. Now onto the turbo...

The Turbo is a T04E .50/.63 which turned out to be perfect for remote mounting. If I ever decide to insrease boost, it can be replaced easily. I am using the stock exhaust with muffler delete to the turbo, then a 3" tailpipe. In the tailpipe is my AEM wideband o2 sensor. For charge pipe, I bought 2" mandrel bent intercooler kit from one of the sites sponsors along with some 2" pipe from my local muffler shop. For couplers, I am using cut pieces of 2" ID radiator hose. It can be bought from Advance Auto pretty cheaply- I got one piece that was a large 90 for $13 and had some left over. I just cut it into the desired length with a bandsaw. The charge pipe goes to a 2" to 2.5" steel adapter, then into a 2.5" to 3" silicone coupler from AutoZone. This coupler feeds into my 3" BOV adapter then into the 3" mandrel bend aluminum pipe leading into the engine bay. I brought the 3" down pretty far to try and eliminate turbulence in the MAF.

I am using an STS oil pump to return the oil back to the oil filler neck. I got the pump from an STS dealer who upgraded a customers car to their high volume pump. I am using the nipple that originally had the vent hose to the intake for the oil return fitting- I am using a vented push in oil cap to make up for it. It was alot easier this way than tapping the oil cap like STS does. Here are the pictures and it you have any questions just ask.

IM000898 (Medium) (Small).JPG #ad

IM000972 (Medium).JPG #ad

IM000974 (Medium).JPG #ad

IM000975 (Medium).JPG #ad

IM000973 (Medium).JPG #ad

IM000978 (Medium).JPG #ad

2. gofastmerc

Cool!

Are going to put a shield on the aircleaner?

When do you get boost?

Butt-dyno?

3. Explorer5.0

I see boost as early as 1500RPM depending on load. I only have a 3.63psi spring at the moment and see all of that pretty early. As soon as I get some larger injectors it will be going to Bamachips to use their AWD dyno. I am not worried about the air filter because I never drive the truck in foul weather. I am planning on putting a K&N outerwear on just in case- ut will shed water.

4. johnsonupnu

Should suprise a few on the street. :D

5. bofomills

The only thing that takes me way from rear mounts, is the rain.. dust your engine ;) I liek your build btw.

6. seawalkersee

What is your boost level now? You running stock injectors and MAF?

Chris

7. 238ur50

I only have a 3.63psi spring

8. Explorer5.0

3.63 psi, stock injectors and MAF.

9. Explorer5.0

Here is a picture of the setup before installation. Notice the huge ugly weld where the wastegate pipe meets the exhaust pipe- I had originally planned on the wastegate pipe as being a hanging point so I welded the connection then brazed over it for strength. I forgot to mention above that I did every bit of this install myself- so it is a true DIY.

turbo.JPG #ad

10. Explorer5.0

I just bought a 6spi spring(small red) for my wastegate, so now I need some larger injectors and fuel pump. I will probably run an '03 Cobra pump with some 30lb injectors if I can find some. I also have the task of getting a MAF that will work blow through. I wish I had the option of putting an FMU on it, but I have a returnless fuel system.

I am also going to AutoZone today to get them to order me a K&N Drycharger so I can drive in the rain if I have to.

11. Kevins89notch5.0

AWD SUV mustan, hahahahaha, thats great.
    8)

12. seawalkersee

As far as the return oil pump goes, is there a certain location you have to mount it for it to work properly? Like...below the trubo return feed line or doe is matter as long as its within like 18" of the turbo? What are the specifics of that?

Chris

13. Explorer5.0

the pump has a fair amount of suction, but I'd say keep it within 3' and at about the same level as the turbo. I will probably be replacing the pump soon because it makes ALOT of noise. I will probably buy a diaphram pump that will be quieter.

14. slo5o

How much abuse can the stock transfer case in awd explorer take? I have a 99 2 door 4wd that I would like to convert into a 5.0 awd if I can figure out how much the stock transfer case can handle. Nice looking build btw, any track times to see how much of an improvement the 3.63 psi did?

15. Explorer5.0

You'll split the block before you make enough power to kill the TC. You can also swap a 4406 out of a full size truck so your 4wd will work as it does now, except you'll have a true 2wd mode.

16. dmoss69

Nice work, and cool build! :2thumbs:

17. funford

nice build, something original.

18. 95_5.0_stang

That's awesome, a sleeper right there. I like the idea of using radiator hose as couplers, it doesn't leak then I take it? Let me know about that because I might do the same thing when the time comes.

19. slo5o

That what I was hoping to hear. How much are you planning to turn yours up to hp wise? And is your trans still all stock?

20. Explorer5.0

I dont know what kind of numbers I'll make, but I plan on going up to 6psi soon.