1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My new turbo dodge!! Updated!Pic's!

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by millerman340, Jul 4, 2005.

1. millerman340

While I'm still working on the challenger conv tt project I picked up a cool little dodge to beat on .It's a 91 spirit r/t ,only 434 white ones for 91 .So it's not a v8 but it still hauls a$$!!.Dave.

spirit rt.jpg #ad

2. MoparFreak

Lucky!

If you picked that up for any decent price, then you're extremely lucky! With under $1000 in mods, you can have that thing in the low 13's or 12's with no problems. Turbo's unleashed Calibration, +40's injectors, 3" exhaust system, New fuel pump, and 20 psi and you'll be screaming. Check out www.turbododge.com for info on those things. Very sweet and very rare car you got. Good luck!

3. millerman340

My new turbo dodge!!

One of my old friends works at this hole in the wall used car lot and I stopped in to see him saturday looking for a td .This place is known for screwing people .Well they pick the r/t up for $200 at a small school auction That sells donated cars after they pulled one of the injecter wires off.So my friend comes over after work to tell me that they found me a turbo car. he say's it's a 91 stratus turbo with a red engine,doh somthing or other on the door . You don't say? He tells me how much they got it for and to go look at it.When I get there the next morning the owners son thinks he's screwing me for $600 but I'm just keeping my mouth shut as he is giggling under his breath. Yea I'm a member at turbododge also. This thing rips,about 4000 in 1st&2nd it just blows the tires away!!

4. MoparFreak

My new turbo dodge!!

Ooohhhh! I hate you! lol jk, sweet find, and I am TRULY JEALOUS!
    What's your name on TD.com? I'm MoparFreak as well.

I tell you what, since you got it for $600, I'll take it off your hands and make you some money by buying it from you for $700. What do you say?:D

Michael

5. millerman340

My new turbo dodge!!

Same name on td&moparts.com also,yea it's sweet but will bee sweeter with this holset!!

bf_1_b.jpg #ad

6. MoparFreak

My new turbo dodge!!

Sweet! What size is it?

Michael

7. millerman340

My new turbo dodge!!

Hx 35

8. millerman340

My new turbo dodge!!

;)

imag0427.jpg #ad

9. Dominationchassis

My new turbo dodge!!

you son of a....... I still have my ear to the ground tryin to find a turbo dodge beater. The ram EATS fuel. My dream is an '86 dodge 600 convertible. Those are sooo gangsta

10. Bent6

My new turbo dodge!!

I had a red 91 Spirit R/T that I drove for 75,000 miles. Get good at doing timing belts! My car needed one every 25,000 miles. A couple of times I could hear it get noisy for 100-200 miles before the belt stripped. I guess Lotus designed it with super stiff valve springs, and that makes them kill belts. Also make sure it has aluminum core plugs in the valley of the head. The heads are prone to cracking with the factory steel ones. I got the car when it was only a year old. At that time, a bare head was $2200 wholesale and complete heads were over $5000.

I'd still have it, but it was towed 3 times in 75,000 miles (two timing belts and a turbo). It got 30 mpg down the highway and low 20's driving to work. It was a fun car, but I didn't trust it. I only had it at the strip once. The best run on a greasy track with blown rear shocks and hard tires was 15.20 at 97 mph. Good luck with yours. I do still miss mine sometimes.

11. RacinDuallie

My new turbo dodge!!

HX-35 from a Diesel???? If so then keep an eye on that t-bo shaft bearing!! What rpm's you run the motor? Is it an HX 35-12? Can this be done I don't think so- take a low rpm turbo and use it in a higher RPM-ing gasser?? Am I wrong here guys?

12. millerman340

13. millerman340

My new turbo dodge!!

If u think the holsets are junk check out the link. then check out turbofords.com search for holset. they will run 20-25 lbs all day at like 70-78 % efficiently. Don't take my word for it Just read.Dave Pre-03 hx35 -Green 03-04 hy 35 -Black 2005 -up hy 35 Red

compmapmy3a.jpg #ad

14. millerman340

My new turbo dodge!!

:angel:

daves resize.jpg #ad

15. CW25

My new turbo dodge!!

I am a dodge tech and one thing we don't have problems with is the turbos on 04 and older trucks.

16. RacinDuallie

My new turbo dodge!!

Its not that I think they are junk- don't get me wrong here- I have a HX-35-12 and a HX-40-16 sitting on my bench- doing nothing as they were pulled from my truck 35 was the stocker that I took off and replaced with the modified 40. I didn't think that for an engine that runs rpm's that go higher than a diesel's rpm's that these diesel based turbo's would be applicable...

I there any problems associated with shaft bearing failures? ?

17. Kryp2nitE

My new turbo dodge!!

its true that you would not think a new application with twice the rpm would work but these turbos are built pretty stout and most can handle the extra rpm (althought not excessive) that a gas engine can make

cheers to overengineering :cheers:

EDIT: wait, we choose the size of turbos from those engine based on an engine of twice the size, would this mean the rpm would stay the same? (or close to it?)

14L @ 3k rpm vs 7L@6krpm?

18. CW25

My new turbo dodge!!

The 05's have seen a few failures just make sure to fill the filter on the oil changes and things are good.

I wouldn't worry about the bearings on a gas engine as diesel fuel has a ton more BTUs in it to help spin the turbo. As long as the compressor size is close to what you need you will be fine.

19. RacinDuallie

My new turbo dodge!!

But are you using these HX's right off the truck with NO CHANGES?

What are the boost numbers you guys get on these HX-35's on the gasser cars? Just curious I know what I cranked out of them on the diesel- are they run in the optimum efficency map range on gassers as well?

The 05' Dodges come with a HY- 9cm set-up which spools fairly fast but get's hot just as fast- by adding fuel via performance tuned injectors. They usually get taken off fast for something bigger or compound twins......Swapping a HY out and a HX-35 in nets more room at the top- end with minor off line loss. My -35 has 13,000 miles on it then it was taken off in favor of a modified HX-40-16 set up- now the -40 is off as well and I have a B1-EX-4 that has been modded even more than the -40, and it'll have an even bigger brother underneath it. (Compounded setup in the works) So I have these 2 Holsets sitting..... wondering now what to put them on?

20. millerman340

My new turbo dodge!!

Some are using them with the stock housing. The dsm (mitsubishi) cars are using a housing made for the holset by bullseye that has a smaller cm housing to spool up faster.Dave