1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My New Project and Turbo Build: 1968 Mustang

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by EGFORDGUY, Feb 21, 2022.

1. EGFORDGUY

It has been a while since I posted, but thought I would start a new build thread on my new project.
    It is a 1968 Mustang Coupe, my wife and daughters have named "Joe Dirt" My daughter said if Joe Dirt drove a mustang in the movie it would have been this car! :)
    Over all it is pretty straight, with minimal rust, worst is actually by the rear window, floor pans have already been replaced (in a so,so fashion).
    I have a pile of parts I will start throwing at it, TKO 600 5spd, 8.8 rear axle, and a roller cam 351w.
    This is going to be a Facebook Market Place, craigslist build!
    I will be looking to get this car in to the 10's in the 1/4 mile safely as cheap and reliably as I can!
    For those of you that remember my last build 1964 Ranchero I got that car to run a 12.1 with really low buck weak parts, I learned a lot from that build and knew I wanted a manual transmission and a 351w this time around.
    I hope to get it up and running in N/A form in the next couple weeks with a 351w I have laying around as I build the other engine and save up money for the fuel system and ignition system to safely run the Turbo!

IMG_8403.jpg #ad

IMG_8402.jpg #ad

IMG_8404.jpg #ad

IMG_8406.jpg #ad

BBR, B E N, Pro-SC and 2 others like this.
  2. Briansshop

Nice. Turbo details!

3. Afxcomet64

Following
    ll

4. EGFORDGUY

I will be using what worked well on my last build and improving on some items!
    The plan as of right now is to flip a set of fox body shorty headers (I got them for free with a engine a few years back) and build my own hot side and cold side. If that does not fit I will cut up the same shorty headers and make my own. I plane to run a single On3 76mm turbo ( I had good luck with there 70mm on my last build). I want to run a air/air intercooler and then a home built blow through 750 holley (also, worked well on the last build). I plan to build the hot side out of 2" and 2 1/4" pipe (I have not decided yet) and then a cheap On3 waste gate and blow off valve and probably there inter cooler kit as well.

So far I got (2) 351w roller motors. The one that is most complete is out of a 1995 lightning, so it has the factory GT40 3 bar heads on it. I put a E303 cam and some 1.7 roller rockers on it with a performer RPM manifold. I got a MSD 6a box and distributor for cheap and a used 65o double pumper, with some used hooker long tube headers. This will be the first engine going in the car (N/A) while I get it worked out suspension wise and fuel system wise.
    The second 351w is another roller engine with low miles out of a F250. I have a Victor Jr. intake to put on it and some generation 1 Trick Flow heads that have mild port work done to them. I'm still trying to figure out what cam to run, (I think I might try the "NEW" Summit B303 cam the specs look good for a turbo engine).
    Both engines will be ran with stock cast piston bottom ends so I will be very conservative on the timing curve and keep them a little Fat on the Air/fuel mixture for safety.
    Everything I have bought so far for this car has been second, third or fourth hand parts! ;)
    Here are the specs on the turbo I plan to use! $340 New from On3!

Cold Side
    • Compressor Wheel 76mm
    • .80 a/r
    • 4” Inlet and 2.5” Compressor Outlet
    • Inducer- 76.71mm
    • Exducer- 102.36mm
    Exhaust Side
    • Exhaust Housing T-4 Flange
    • .96 ar Exhaust Housing (.68, .81, 1.0 divided, 1.15 divided $30 charge for swapping housings)
    • 3.0″ Vband outlet
    • Inducer- 74.5mm
    • Exducer- 65mm

B E N likes this.
  5. silver82GT

FWIW I wouldn't use that turbo on a 351W. The turbine is way too small. I would use a 7875 or 7675. Otherwise it looks like a cool build.

EGFORDGUY and Mnlx like this.
  6. EGFORDGUY

Thanks, I was actually looking at there 7875 turbo but was afraid it might be too big and cause slow spool up and too much turbo lag. I ran a 70/65 on my last 302 build which was a pretty stock 302 and it spooled instantly with almost no lag. I will definitely look into this, Thanks,

7. silver82GT

On another note I was looking at those Summit E/B/F303+ cams and was seriously considering buying the F303+ for my SBE 351W project. I decided to go another route but I would think it would be pretty easy to get 10s out of a 351 with those heads, that cam and a 7875 turbo.

EGFORDGUY likes this.
  8. Briansshop

You don't have go easy on those factory 351w short block assemblies. They'll hang in there right on up to 4 digit HP. Ran mine on 22 psi.

nxcoupe and EGFORDGUY like this.
  9. EGFORDGUY

I figure somewhere around 600 - 650 hp should get me into the 10's which is my goal for this car.
    I think this combo should get me there at about 12-14 psi.
    Ideally would love to be in the 10.60-10.80 range for this car.
    I don't have any desire to do the safety equipment upgrades to go faster than 10.50!

Russell likes this.
  10. Russell

What's special about 10.50? I thought the cut offs were 11.50, 10.00, 8.50, 7.50, 6.00?

nxcoupe likes this.
  11. EGFORDGUY

You are right it is 9.99 and faster, I got confused thinking about the 11.49 cut off.

Disney Lincoln and Russell like this.
  12. vht

What about a VS racing 7875 billet wheel turbo? That would get you there and then some.Nice build!

13. FlatOut

I run a borg warner S476sxe on my 351w Lightning which is a 7687 and I couldn't be much happier with the spool up and response. I don't think you'll have a problem with the 7685 or similar. I didn't get to run it long with the stock heads (3 bar GT40) before it popped a head gasket and i decided to go with trickflows new 11r but it was very responsive. In a light car it may effect spool up a little but it will get moving so quickly I doubt you'll have anything negative to say.

Do those bays have enough room to flip shorties. I remember working on a 69 with a 351 and the towers are TIGHT

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  14. EGFORDGUY

I honestly don’t know what will fit yet as far as turbo headers. I might have to fab up my own.
    I hope to get it going in N/A form in the next week or two.

Russell likes this.
  15. B E N

Shock tower delete and make all of the room!

mld54 and Briansshop like this.
  16. vht

B.E.N is right, those things were a real pain to put plugs in if I remember right. I'd at least cut out part of the shock tower and box them in.

17. EGFORDGUY

My last build was a 1964 Ranchero I built a turbo system on the 302 and l kept all the sheet metal and shock towers. The 1968 mustang has almost 3 1/2” more space between the shock towers. So it should be a little easier this time around. If I didn’t already have disk brakes and all new suspension components I might go mustang2 but right now it’s about the budget build!

18. EGFORDGUY

I opened up my mystery rear axle to get a pleasant surprise. 31 spline axles, full spool, c-clip eliminator kit, and 3.73 gears!
    And I was just happy it was a 5-Lug when I got it!
    It was originally a 8.8 out of a fox body mustang.
    axle is mounted and brakes hooked up.
    I also converted from a broken power brake booster to a manual brake pedal and master cylinder. So rear axles and brakes completed!

F7629EBB-4D0D-4C7F-AD32-8620A67C273C.jpeg #ad

C3E72810-9EC2-41BA-96BA-68219BF2A24C.jpeg #ad

View attachment 786823 #ad

19. nxcoupe

Their 78mm is what I'm using on my 358.

EGFORDGUY likes this.
  20. EGFORDGUY

A VS racing 78 or a On3 brand turbo