1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1992 GT/306 Swap/Hellion Kit

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 92GreenGT, Jan 21, 2009.

1. 92GreenGT

Finally making a build thread, although it's not as extreme as a lot of you guys I'm doing this so I can ask a few questions about somethings I'm doing and provide pictures. The actual "build" is a 306 that's replacing the stocker.

The combo is going to be pretty basic:
    stock block 306
    TFS TW heads
    Stock cam w/ 1.72 Scorpion rockers
    Exploder upper/lower intake
    Stock TB
    Hellion kit with a MP T70
    #42injectors/SCT2400 MAF
    Bob Kurgan Mail Order Tune

Nothing crazy, just looking to make an honest 400-425rwhp and be safe enough to drive to the track, race and then drive home.(60-70 miles each way) I was planning on welding the holes up in the engine bay but it's getting so close to race season that I don't want to get involved in something that "big" or I'll end up sitting another year out from working on the thing.

Here is some parts to go on the 306:

Here is how the car looks before I pulled it apart to swap engines:

I've been slacking at taking pictures but the weather has just been awful here so I have just been working on it when I get a chance. So far, I've pulled the stock cam out of the engine and swapped into the 306 shortblock. Installed the headstuds/heads and got the stock engine tore down and ready to pull out of the car. I've got MM Caster/Camber plates to install on the car as well while I'm cleaning up the engine bay.

I'm wanting to clean up the wiring, throw some paint on the engine bay and otherwise just "clean" everything good when the swap happens. A couple questions I have for you guys currently:

1. I really want to clean up the hole on the passenger side fender where the pipe comes through going to the throttle body. The car used to have a supercharger on it and over it's life it got hacked up pretty bad for the 4" powerpipe and the old turbo kit I had on it. What is the best way of fixing this hole? Should I just find a piece of sheet metal, cut it and weld it in then take a hole saw or something and cut a factory sized hole for the pipe to come through?

2. On the wiring, I used to have it in the inner fender but I never done it "right" in my mind so I pulled it all back out and put it in it's factoryish locations. Of course it doesn't look as good as factory, I'm not sure if I want to try and clean it up and put it back in the factory positions or hide it in the inner fenders again correctly. Opinions?

That's it for now, I'll update some pictures tomorrow because the weather looks decent(44* high, hottest we've had in a few weeks sadly) :cheers: