1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Intake options for GT headed 5.4

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by 2vteror, Feb 24, 2013.

1. 2vteror

I know there aren't many options and right now, I am looking at doing the few mods it takes to make a coyote intake work on my heads. However, the issue with my build is space. I like the stock coyote intake because it is a lower rpm intake and is pretty much perfect for what I need. The boss intake is made for 7500rpm or more. But the stock intake sits extremely low and it is causing me to have to move my turbo to the passenger side of the engine bay and it is EXTREMELY cramped there. I don't want to spend 2-3k on an intake but do I have any other options other than a custom sheet metal intake or a cobra r intake? Are there any sheetmetal intakes for less than 2k for this motor/head combo?

2. 99TTGT

"make it work is never the best option"

that said:

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Ben Franklin

3. 2vteror

Do I have any sub $2000 options?

4. 99TTGT

why not get a use lower intake and slap a sheet metal hat.?

5. 2vteror

I have a ford gt lower with a lid and an edelbrock elbow. I am looking for something with longer runners to help with spooling and mid range power. This will kind of give you an idea of what i have

IMG_1800.jpg #ad

IMG_1800.jpg #ad

6. stangman9897

There good heads but there's this problem, kinda like running B Heads not many intake options .

7. 2vteror

I called foxlake and logan today. $2500 and 2-3 month wait. Both of those are out of the question. lol. The coyote intake will fit with very little modification. Thats why I considered it. and it looks good. lol. But it has 13" runners. Thats what i was really after.. And I already have a coyote intake that I got for free...

8. 99TTGT

gotcha

a few questions:

whast your engine combo?
    what turbo?
    what transmission?

9. 2vteror

Stock 08 gt500 motor. Pt88, and going to a th400

10. 99TTGT

more info on the turbo.

what boost controler you gonna use?
    what size ehaust wheel and housing a/r?
    pics?

11. 2vteror

-Inducer mm.- 88mm
    -Wheel Inducer- 3.465"
    -Wheel Exducer- 4.630"
    -Wheel Trim- 59
    -Inlet/Outlet Size- 4"/3"
    -Bearing System- Pro Race
    -A/R Ratio- Tan .96
    -Wheel Inducer- 3.730"
    -Wheel Exducer- 3.270"
    -Wheel Trim- 77
    -Max. Rated HP- 1250

I have a turbo smart eboost2 right now that needs bugs worked out. Previous owner said it would bleed boost bad and the wg is set up to vent off of spring pressure but the spring pressure is controlled by a bolt in the top of the wg. I don't really have any ggood pics of the turbo right now.

12. 2vteror

Also had a ported compressor housing

13. 99TTGT

IMOP
    if i were you, i will make a sheet metal hat to feed that intake.
    the elbow you have is going to kill you.
    goin to a boos intake in your application is goin backwards cuz of you setup...

14. 2vteror

I was going to go with a stock coyote Intake. And I'm not skilled enough to make a sheet metal hat. Lol. Any examples of one?

15. 99TTGT

here you go

http://6061.com/:

a few examples:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. 2vteror

What benefit would that give me over the elbow? How does that help the issue with the lack of intake runner length in my intake? Not being a smart ass just trying to learn.

17. 2vteror

Ok. so what I got out of that is that the more plenum volume the better as long as its within reason of the cubic inches of the motor. I would have to get to my intake to calculate the plenum volume. I see what you are saying now as far as the plenum volume of the elbow vs a hat like you are talking about. But, where does that play into the runner length equation? By looking at the hats above, it would basically be a big open area above the intake runners correct? Here is a better pic of my intake... More opinions?

IMG_2820_zps45f62652.jpg #ad

IMG_2820_zps45f62652.jpg #ad

18. 99TTGT

19. 2vteror

I liked that lightning build. I messaged him, waiting on a reply. It sounded like it spooled pretty quick in one of his vids. That is my main concern with the car is spool time because it wont solely be a track car. I want to be able to play on the street and it not be terribly laggy.

20. 99TTGT

you have a auto ,is gona be fine.
    my turbo is waaaay bigger than yours & it spools fast.!