1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

how to route belt with ONLY alternator

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by adam`, Mar 14, 2009.

1. adam`

i have no AC, PS and an electric water pump. how can i run a belt with my setup using the stock tensioner? im using the stock alternator.

2. bags50lx

an easy way would be buy the a/c delete kit and run it like factory except put a ribbed pulley on the driverside cover and then down to the crank basically removing the p/s pump. Its going to be tough with out the a/c delete cause the way the pulley and tensioner are so close. But if you made the belt really tight you could get away with not using the a/c delete kit.

3. 99TTGT

here you go:

1996/1998 cobra timming cover

ussing OEM tensioner & 76mm composite 6 rib Dayco idler ,part number 89009
    belt # 455K6--6PK1155.<if you use aftermarket pulleys>
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With OEM pullies Gates belt part # K060473
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    With OEM pullies & electric water pump USE Gates belt part # K060407 OR K060408

88mm.jpg #ad

water pump (Medium).JPG #ad

4. ItCouldHappen

^^^^^ That looks like just crank, waterpump pully, Alt......how are they keeping the belt tight?

5. JIMS SVT

Thats how mine is.I keep it tight by putting a tire iron under the alt then tighting the alt bolts.It stays tight.

6. ItCouldHappen

Thats kinda what I figured...

7. 97tntcobra

What size belt do you use? Have any closeup pics

8. adam`

what size belt is that? i have an underdrive pulley so mine will be even shorter. i will try this out before i spend 200 on a delete pulley.

9. adam`

also, who makes the ac delete kit. i see some from 60-200. some have the manual tensioner and some are just a replacement.

10. 99TTGT

11. bags50lx

I think ford has one also off of a work truck or van. I think it was around a 2000 model that had the delete kit on it.

12. adam`

any more info on this setup? here is how i plan to run my belt. i feel less is better but it turns out a 37.5" belt fits perfect. now i just got to find one in a 6rib setup. does anyone know if 5 ribs would be sufficient for this setup?

[​IMG]#ad

13. 99TTGT

Look's Good.!
    Gates have them
    try NAPA or OReilly's
    here you go:
    Gate 6 rib belts
    k060365 = 37 1/8
    k060370 = 37 3/4

14. adam`

well couldnt find the size i needed in 5 or 6 rib so im rocking 4 ribs. i hope the belt holds up but it was only 10.99 so not much at loss.

i would not suggest prying the alternator like i did. i was waiting for that case to break but i was able to get the belt on. im sure there was a better way but i didnt want to damage the pulley from prying the bottom.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. JIMS SVT

Thats how mine is.But I used a tire tool under the alt and pride up from there.

16. 99TTGT

care to share a part number?
    thanks

17. BOSS 32V

this is how i did mine with alt, ps and no water pump pulley

[​IMG]#ad

18. 99TTGT

Nice !
    wan't to share a part number?

19. BOSS 32V

Sure! I'll get it tomorrow, i got it from napa, it fits a little loose but i used a pry bar on the alt until it got tight.

20. 99TTGT

Thanks
    This is a good tread .It should help many Mod Motor Turbo Mustangs..