1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Bucket List project update

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by JohnSpo1, May 29, 2020.

1. JohnSpo1

Hi Guys, been busy but have made some progress. I'm trying t get a few things done before another surgery in two weeks. I'll be losing a part of my foot so will be off my feet for about 4 -6 weeks. Hopefully not that long.Anyway, questions for the attached pictures;
    1. Thanks for the info on welding 90's to the outlets, this will work perfectly. 20200527_064753.jpg #ad
      20200528_171151.jpg #ad
      20200528_185051.jpg #ad
    2. The piping from the outlet housing is mocked up with silicone couplers. I had intended to leave these in place. Any issues with doing so? Keep in mind that I plan to run a max of 15psi boost during tunning to try and achieve the 1000hp#, after that 8-10psi for normal driving.
    3. The exhaust pipes are in place but there are no mufflers in the plan. How loud can I expect this to be and should I consider changes now that would include mufflers?
    4. Where should placement of the O2 be? I've been told not to install it near any bends, Opinions?
    5. Just FYI, the OC outlet pipes will not have silicone couplers once finished, I do intend for those to be fully welded
    As always, let me know your thoughts, Thank You.

2. Disney Lincoln

Looking really good! I hate to hear about losing your foot. Hopefully you'll be back on your good foot soon!

2. Nothing wrong with good silicone couplers. Will be fine at your power level.
    3. It will be loud. Of course that's a very personal thing. What's loud to me might not be to you. To me, that looks like it would be unacceptably loud and i'd be trying to figure something out. Someone else will chime in that it would be better plumbed directly into their ear drum because they like it that way. YMMV.
    4. Again, a bit debated around these days. I've now gone to the school of "as close as possible". I work for an OEM and on our new turbos stuff we put it directly after the turbine, like still in the turbo. ON my new set ups i'm putting them as close as I easily can to the outlet. Last kit I did it was maybe 4" away? As close as I could and still be easy to work around.

20190222_135221.jpg #ad

3. 91turboterror

With a pair of turbos and no mufflers it shouldn’t be louder than it would be N/A open headers at an idle.

4. JohnSpo1

So it sounds like noise may be an issue. I wonder if a baffle of some type may work? I dont mind some noise but open header level is going to be too much for most driving.

5. JohnSpo1

6. B E N

I agree with the sentiments that it will be loud. Fine for a drag car but not fine for a street car. Any of the straight through type mufflers will do the trick for you, or a large case resonator if there is room. I have really developed a fondness dynomax's straight through line.

7. 91turboterror

Those stainlessworks mufflers would work. Pypes , Hooker , Dynomax mufflers are also good sounding mufflers that’ll quiet things down a bit. Some of the Borla models won’t quiet the sound much.Avoid flowmasters for turbo applications.

8. Mnlx

Like Disney posted, some think it's fine without and some prefer quieter. In my experience though, it won't be like open headers, the turbines will knock it down quite a bit. I'd say about like an import fart can, but less irritating than the 1 am Harley drive by.

9. JohnSpo1

Well... I have a Harley with straight drag pipes, it''s loud but not too loud for me great for getting ignorant drivers attention, the exhaust I pulled out of tyhe Monte to install the twins were long tube headers into 3" pipes with a xover, electric cutouts and custom side exit Spintech mufflers. The cutouts were only open to be obnoxious. I can install the system as is and judge it from there b4 I spend the bucks. Stainless will need to custom make the mufflers to fit my application,

10. Mnlx

Haha, I don't have a problem with Harley's, just the riders who feel the need to use all 80 hp of straight piped fury at 1 am in a residential neighborhood. I think you'll be fine with what you have.

11. 91turboterror

you can even simplify your idea even further by running it open downpipe and see how you like the sound level. It won’t be as loud as the open headers.

12. JohnSpo1

That is my intention, run it open as is then decide if it needs the mufflers.

13. JohnSpo1

Things have been slow while getting back on my foot and a half, LOl. I'm hope n to make a few adjustments to the exhaust this weekend and get the engine and trans out. Once the engine is out I'll do some final fitting for the new radiator and weld in reinforcements where I cut out the existing rad support. I think I posted this elsewhere but here are pictures of the Radiator that was custom made for me by the folks at FSR, a local race and radiator fab shop. They have also been doing the welding on my turbo housings and cold side pipes. Once things are fitted I will also have them make me a suitable overflow tank. FSR Radiator 1.jpg #ad
    FSR Radiator 2.jpg #ad
    FSR Radiator 3.jpg #ad
    FSR Radiator 4.jpg #ad
    FSR Radiator 1.jpg #ad
    FSR Radiator 2.jpg #ad
    FSR Radiator 3.jpg #ad
    FSR Radiator 4.jpg #ad

14. B E N

Keep at it, your making progress!

15. JohnSpo1

getting a bit more motivated as things progress (health wise) but still way behind where I would like to be. Here is the latest update. Got the engine and trans out of the car, and pulled the pan. I need to know two things based on my engine.
    1. Where to pull thew oil feed from. I think I have two options and am leaning towards the first. I have a 1/2 npt port near the oil pressure sender that appeasr to be in with the oil pressure side. My thought is to come off of this with a T and route lines down both sides of the engine to the turbos. The second is a threaded port off of the oil filter housing, but I am not sure if that is a pressure port Pictures below.
    2. Where to plumb the oil drains back into the pan, any suggestions?
    20200808_201217.jpg #ad
    20200809_131802.jpg #ad
    20200809_131807.jpg #ad

16. Briansshop

Looks like you might have a prob with that top rad hose. Thinking you'd been better off if the alum tube was a bit longer to get the hose and clamp further away.

17. JohnSpo1

When the radiator is in position there is several inches of clearance, in the picture t
    he rad is actually leaning towards the turbo.

18. 91turboterror

You can just t it off the sender

19. JohnSpo1

Latest update; Well thanks to health reasons I am about 6 mos behind schedule but here is the latest: I've been able to get a bit more done over the past couple of weeks. I purchased and installed the crank trigger, installed bungs in the oil pan and routed turbo drain lines. I also bought stainless tubing and fittings to plumb the oil feed. The intake and pan are ready to go back on to close the engine up. I purchased a Snow water/meth injection setup, a fuel system from Aeromotive and I'll be ordering the 3 bar map and 120# injectors tonight. I think that this will complete most of my parts list, at least the big ticket items. I found a shop in Alabama that will install a 6 pt bar and Comp Cams as agreed to tune it on their in house chassis dyno (when the time comes). I've had no luck getting mufflers from Stainless works. their customer service absolutely sucks. Unfortunately they have the best option for my install so I'll keep trying for now. there are some other fabrication things to take care of such as making braces for the turbos but the engine build can be completed while the car is in Alabama. Sorry, no pictures this time, but there really is not much to see. One thing I would still love to get if anyone has one lying around or knows where to find one is the Air Raid carbon fiber carb hat. I really want this piece so if anyone knows where one could be had i would be eternally grateful!

B E N, fastspec2 and Disney Lincoln like this.
  20. fastspec2