1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

72 Chevelle 496 Twin T72's

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ss496, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ss496

Finally decided to post up some pics of my 72 Chevelle project. This is my second build that started directly after my poormans Mustrolet E85 305 chevy powered mustang. I wasn't going to post due to my slow progress since whenever I make good progress I get sent back out on long term travel for work. It's a little frustrating that I did a frame off resto on the car in less than one year but it has taken me almost 4 for this project due to my work schedule and lazyness. Hopefully this will give me some motivation since I am so close

This was my first car that I bought when I was 15. Was a typical Wisconsin rust bucket underlayers of bondo. The only original exterior body panel is the roof, even did the rear quarters up to the factory leaded seam. I used to drive it on 500 mile one way trips a couple times a summer and 200 mile one way trips a couple times a month when salt wasn't on the road. It's had a fair share of engines/trans combo through it. The last being a centrifugal supercharged 496 with a T56 that is still the base for this build. I never got track time with the charger due to the charger grenading all the time. But N/A it did run 12.3 @ 116, the first time at the strip shifting at 5300 RPM on 87 octane. So depending on what calculator used just shy of 500 HP N/A

The engine combo is as follows when I built it at 21 (now 29):

Engine
    496 BBC
    Brodix race-rite oval port heads
    JE blower pistons
    8.8:1 compression
    4340 h beam rods
    4340 4.25" crank
    Performer RPM intake (N/A) or holley strip dominator (FI)
    Crane blower cam--> 0.565" 238* @ 0.050" intake, 0.571" 242* @0.050" exhaust, 114 LSA hydraulic flat tappet <-- pulls 16" vacuum @ 800 RPM
    800 DP holley

Turbos
    twin garrett T72 with 0.96 T4 turbine housings
    JGS 56 MM BOV
    Twin JGS 40 MM wastegates
    tri-y/log style headers, 1/2" flanges, schedule 40 butt weld pipe elbows
    3" down pipes to old jegs 3" exhaust with dynomax ultra flows

Driveline; will be addressed as things scatter
    retro-fit T56, bolts to stock style scattershield/bellhousing <-- will be a T56 magnum
    centerforce DF clutch <-- McCleod twin soon
    12 bolt, Powertrax locker, 3.42 gears

I will get some pics of the car up later this week and get some better (sorry shitty cell pics) up later when get a new camera as I just dropped it in the snow.

The goal is a stock appearing and sounding 750 to 1000 hp car (depending on boost) that I can take on road trips like I alway have. The car will/has see the strip a couple times a year depending on my work travel.

Things left to do:

receive carb hat
    finish tackin drivers side down pipe. it is at the oil filter area and needs another 90 to get out under the car
    finish weld down pipes
    grind down welds on headers
    plumb oil lines
    locate wastegates
    fab cold side --> easy without an intercooler
    send headers, turbine housings, downpipes, compressor housings, charger pipes, carb hat out for ceramic coating
    relocate fuel press reg
    fab new spark plug wire looms

IMG_20121209_134346.jpg #ad

IMG_20121209_134553.jpg #ad

IMG_20121209_134620.jpg #ad

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. BOOSTEDROK

Gonna be sweet, maybe I'm used to SBC, but you think the .96 housings might be a little laggy. some .81's would spool great on that bbc. MAYBE, just my .02 cents. Especially since your gonna street drive a lot.

3. ss496

I intentionally sized the turbines a little large so boost comes on more gradually to help with traction

4. BlownShovel

subscribed... post up some additional pics

5. ss496

Here's some old photos during the resto. I have different exhaust, wheels and tires on now. I will get some turbo set up pics tonight if I remember to get the camera on my way home from work.

DCP_1262.jpg #ad

untitled.png #ad

DCP_0834.jpg #ad

6. Nice Chevelle

Love the car... she's gonna be a handful. My chevelle has a 383 SBC and also ran low 12's N/A; now with only 8 psi of boost, it's now low 11s.

7. 434chevelle

Driveline; will be adressed as things scatter

This made me laugh! We have the same priorities.

FigertZ71 likes this.
  8. M&M Turbochargers

no sense of getting rid of perfectly good parts!!! (till they break anyway:joyous:)

9. ss496

No progress but I got a new camera and got some pics.

GEDC0001.jpg #ad

GEDC0002.jpg #ad

GEDC0003.jpg #ad

GEDC0004.jpg #ad

GEDC0005.jpg #ad

GEDC0006.jpg #ad

caleath likes this.
  10. ss496

More Pics

GEDC0008.jpg #ad

GEDC0007.jpg #ad

11. ss496

Got the cold side done and the down pipes done. Stuff should be going to the coaters early next week. I still have some little things to do that will add up to a bunch of time. Relocate fuel reg, plumb oil lines, sort out spark plug wire looms so everything clears the down pipes and headers, clean out the carb, fresh fuel, etc.

I would post a pic but I can't figure out how from my phone.

12. 70chevelle

Lookin good!

13. ss496

Pic of cold side.

Down pipes are already removed. Tomorrow I will remove the turbos and headers/manifolds so I can bring everything to the coaters on Tuesday. You will have to excuse the messy engine bay since the car has done nothing but sit for about 4 years. Stuff should be back from the coaters on Friday and with the other items I have to do I should be driving in it about 2 weeks.

mail.jpg #ad

14. Twin Turbo Skylark

When you have a chance can you please measure the hieight of the carb hat? What brand is it?

15. ss496

it is a fuzz over 3" tall (from carb air horn mounting flange) and does not have a recessed base. I purchased it from vortech but they simply buy it from someone else and put their name on it since paxton sells the same casting. It also has a diffuser on the inside simular to a spark arrestor on a inboard spark ignition marine engine. There are single and dual (as you see) inlet versions. However, if you purchase the dual inlet version like I have and want to position the inlets straight ahead be prepared to trim the baffle in the 12 o'clock postion (rear as I have mounted) so that it clears the recesses for the needle and seat adjustment provisions that are located on the base. Conceptually I like this design due to the attempted even feeding around the entire circumfrence of the carburetor (like a carburetor is designed), this of course should lead to more even distribution.

16. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks for the info! I think I might try this if I have any issues with my current setup (pics in my sig).

17. BlownShovel

I couldn't see a BOV in the pics. Where do you plan too locate it?

also, what do you have as far as safety equipment. Should run 9-10's

18. ss496

The Bov is located on the back of the carb hat above the distributor. No safety equipment for now. I plan on running low boost for the first year (5 lbs) and doing a cage this winter so I can actually enjoy the car for once this summer.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bov is located on the back of the carb hat above the distributor. No safety equipment for now. I plan on running low boost for the first year (5 lbs) and doing a cage this winter so I can actually enjoy the car for once this summer.

19. TDmkr496

Great build!!

20. ss496

Thanks! I dropped the stuff off at the coaters last night and the headers/manifolds are being extrude honed as well. I should get everything back on Monday. I have a laundry list of little stuff tonight. Hopefully next weekend I will be driving it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I dropped the stuff off at the coaters last night and the headers/manifolds are being extrude honed as well. I should get everything back on Monday. I have a laundry list of little stuff tonight. Hopefully next weekend I will be driving it.