1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My first LS--88 Mustang GT 5.3 4L80E S475

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by TDmkr496, Apr 21, 2013.

1. TDmkr496

So I found a sweet deal on this 88 GT that already had weld in sub frames, 31 spline axles and a Auburn pro in the 8.8, and a Flaming River manual rack. I found a complete 03 5.3 for $250 and a 4L80E (newer style) for $200. I put a UPR K member, control arms, and caster/camber plates this week along with Strange struts and shocks. I got the motor in this week. The plans are to hang this S475 on it and see how much boost it will take.

2. TDmkr496

So I have been collecting parts for a while and wanted to start a thread. I found a 88 GT on Craigslist for $500, already had weld in sub frames, 31 spline Moser axles and a Auburn posi and a Flaming River manual rack. I've since added a UPR K member, A arms, and caster/camber plates along with Strange shocks and struts and Megabite Jr. lowers. I scored a complete 03 5.3 for $250 and a 04 4L80E for $200. The plan is to hang a S475 on this slug and see how much fun I can have with this pig.

3. TDmkr496

Here is a pic of the car.

image.jpg #ad

4. Mustangbrad94gt

what a smokin' deal for 500 bux

5. TDmkr496

Yeah the guy didn't know what he had, just wanted it gone. Here is a pic of the motor in the car. Figured out where I'm going to mount the turbo and plumb it.

image.jpg #ad

6. hoopty5.0

It looks like you made that alt mount, can you post another pic of it? I'd like to do something similar. Looks great.

7. BoostedNova72

Man, you scored all kinds of deals there.

8. TDmkr496

I'll take some pics of it tonight, its very simple.

I have been collecting this stuff for like six months, so its not like I found it all in one weekend. The only draw back was that a bunch of the interior was missing, but a buddy of mine was stripping his car to lighten it, so I built his 408W in trade for his interior lol.

9. TDmkr496

I figured out tonight that the stock 5.0 throttle cable end snaps onto the throttle body on the LS, I just have to make a bracket to hold the cable, I couldn't friggon believe it.

10. Deimos

Ls powered mustang ftw looking good man.

11. TDmkr496

Here is a pic of the alt bracket. I'll post the belt size tonight.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

12. 91turboterror

Very cool build. It'll be a killer car when it's done. Maybe you should cage it now while your at it

13. slimbobaggins

Well, everyone does say the LS is a copy of the Windsor, lol

14. TDmkr496

I thought about it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do it. I'm not sure how fast it will be.

15. 91turboterror

IMO I'm sure it will be fast enough to benefit from a cage. Build it right the first time Better off now then later on so you have to tear the interior apart again. Unless you want the practice lol.

16. hoopty5.0

Thanks for the bracket pic. Simple, yet effective. That allows you to keep from using the regular LS tensioner, correct? Looking forward to seeing it come together.

17. Hemann

This should be a cool build!

What are you going to control fuel and timing with?

18. TDmkr496

Thanks! Yes, the alt mounts where it used to go and you have to old school tighten it.

I'm going to use a PSI harness and ECM and tune it with EFI Live. Jon at PSI is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge, he took the time to answer my questions and concerns and makes a beautiful harness! I'm going to use a Bosch 044 fuel pump and 80 lb injectors. I could have gone with MS, but then I would have had to go with something to control the timing and the trans, this way all three are covered and this project isn't about making max power, just to have a fun street car. My Chevelle makes enough power if I want to go fast lol.

The trans will get a Circle D converter and a Transgo HD-2 kit along with a full rebuild so hopefully I won't have to screw with it after I get it running.

19. hoopty5.0

MSII can do timing, fyi. PaulF is using it on his Monte Carlo build here and I'll be doing the same. they sell a programmable trans controller as well. Sounds like you got your mind set though, so I'm curious to see how EFI live goes as I am unfamiliar with it.

Circle D has a great rep, I live right by them and will be dropping my trans/converter off soon for a rebuild and such :thumbsup:

Oh, where are you looking to get your turbo from? I've been shopping for the same one and have seen prices from $650 to $1050 for an S475..

20. TurboComet

Circle D? What, no love for us anymore? :grin:

Nice build... I'm always impressed by how well LSx engines fit the Fox platform.