1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

downpipe for single turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by yan88gt, Feb 14, 2003.

1. yan88gt

I'm actually building a single turbo kit with a 6.5 td for my car. The headers are nearly finished and my work progress very well. I'm wondering what downpipe size i should use? I installed a 3" downpipe on my friends stock 87 supra and this mods add tons off low end torque ( faster spool up). His car is a 3 liter so should i put a bigger downpipe? 3" or 3.5"? I saw a few mustangs with 3" downpipe on single turbo kit. It will not cost me a lot more to built a 3.5" and i've heard that you can't go to big with a downpipe. Is it true?

2. Snipe656

You heard what everyone else is hearing. Go as big as you can fit in there.

3. yan88gt

I can't find 3.5" to to 2.5" Y-pipe( i want to retain the dual exhaust) But i found a 3" to 2.5" Y-pipe. I will use my mac longtube H-pipe. Where can i find a 3.5" to 2.5 Y-pipe? Or will the 3" downpipe be O.K.? I just read on another thread that a 3" downpipe will support 800hp. I will be happy if i have 400 rwhp. Thanks!

4. WaterPog

So run a 3" dual exhaust, and split from 3.5" to dual 3"...will probably be a custom Y-pipe but it's very doable.

5. yan88gt

I want to retain the dual exhaust because i think that a single 3.5" single would maybe look ugly. A single exhaust would be easier to build but i'm afraid of the result. Anyone have done this?

6. WaterPog

just dump it before the axle, nobody will ever know the difference except that there won't be any tailpipes

7. Snipe656

Too bad dumps are illegal in some spots.

8. WaterPog

ahh...details details

9. yan88gt

I have a gt so even if i fabricate a ugly tailpipe, nobody could see it

10. V8TurboGMC

Make sure to run Straight through type mufflers. Any Chamberd type mufflers will slowdown the exhaust gas. I just bought a Dynomax 3.5 Ultra Flow muffler (Over priced Glasspack) 75$

11. yan88gt

I actualy have magnaflow's on my car and will never put anything else.

12. TurboSix

Yea... go with a 3.5"

I have a V6 Mustang, and have a 3.5" downpipe, coming out of my single turbo. Mine is dumping into the fender, with no muffler :D