1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Looking for a Compound Expert

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Notpicky, May 2, 2018.

1. Notpicky

hi everyone,

This is diesel related but figured I'd post my build up. I'm needing some guidance on a set up of Parallel Compounds.

Build 1997 F350 Powerstroke.

Engine .020 Overbore 7.3 Powerstroke. Full build (Girdle, Rods, Coated deliped flycut pistons, Colt stage ii Cam, Massaged Heads, etc.)

Injection will be done with a 13mm P3000 Mechanical ppump with RSQ governor. Not the stock HEUI. 5x.014 injectors with .093 lines.

Anyway estimated power around 800.

Want to build parallel compounds. Was leaning towards 2x(S252sxe over S362sxe) Want very good spool and clean up. Truck is full street and will be the first streetable mechanical DI 7.3. The pump is governed at 4k. I'm trying to maximize spool/airflow with fuel to not have the typical smokey pig that 7.3s become at high HP.

I based my setup off of modded or built 3.9L 4bt cummins which are 239 cu.in. Most guys in the 300-350hp 4bt world like a HX30 over Hx35 setup. So half a 7.3 is 222 cu in. I know that Apples and oranges. A stock 7.3 Bore and stroke is 4.11 and 4.18 vs. a B series cummins of 4.02 and 4.72.

Anyways just looking for some guidance on the right charger setup.

Wanting Parallel Compounds to maybe get the sound of true duals but I'm open to all opinions. But remember I'm there is no room in Valley for a charger as the injection pump takes up all the room.

Thanks.

2. B E N

I'm interested to see how this goes for you, quick spool, low smoke and mechanical injection don't usually go together.

I understand moving the turbos out of the valley is a necessity but it seems like something around an s363 over s475/s480 would make it to your goals for a lot less money and less packaging frustration. Why the added complexity of 4 turbos?

3. Notpicky

The truck is more of a OMG custom build. I was hoping to be able to hear what a true dual exhausted ppump 7.3 would sound like. Kind of a mix of the old IDI v8s of the day. You are right about the s363/s480 combo. I still thought some crazy spool up of twin compounds would fit the bill.

4. turbostang500

If you want true duals, you will hae to have four turbos like BEN suggested and I don't think that is worth the headache unless this is a special, money is secondary type of build.