1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 73 RS Camaro BBC w/91mm turbo

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by JCH, Dec 8, 2010.

1. JCH

Hope I did this right. If so, here is my 73 RS Camaro. I have been working on it for approx. a year. It has a 427 BBC with a 91mm turbo.

Ok, pic shows up. This is my first turbo build. I built the logged headers, all the cross over piping , engine mounts and 5" down pipe. I have a whole new respect for pipe fitters.The turbo is a 91 mm inducer and the intercooler is a air to water that I frenched in the cowl. THe carb is a 850 that I converted for blow through. THe engine is a std. bore 4 bolt main bolt with a .010/.010 steel crank, eagle rods, and 1967 GM forged pistons. The heads are 990 rectangular ports. The intake is a aluminum 1969 GM dual plane. The cam is a custom solid flat tappet from Cam Motion. THe trans. is a turbo 400 with BTE drum and upgraded sprag. THe converter is a PTC dual balloon plate 10" 3500 stall. THe rearend is a 12 bolt from a 70 camaro. I am looking to make 1200hp at approx. 6200 RPMS on 93 octane.

IMG_0041.JPG #ad

IMG_0042.JPG #ad

2. Mnlx

Looks good.... I like the intercooler. what compression ratio?

3. JCH

After fly cutting the valve reliefs and cc'ing everything I came out with 9.06 to 1.

This is/was a use what I had laying around build. I was supposed to be a quick/cheap build but it has started becoming expensive. I still have to get my wastegate, BOV, water tank and a thermal blanket. the biggest fab work is behind me now.

4. MUSTLX50

Looks good so far, keep up the good work. You'll be happy in the end and wont think about the expense, good luck. :2thumbs:

5. Nice Chevelle

Nice job so far. It makes me smile thinking your car is gonna make so much power on pump gas! I love it. If I ever redo my hot pipes; I'll probably do them similar to your design and turb placement.
    Subscribed..

:2thumbs: :welder:

6. Bankbook

Take your time, be patient because in the end when it is all done and running you will be very happy. I know i am :D.

I dont see any issues busting out 1200 hp with that combo.

Keep the pics coming.

7. rustorbust

Looks awesome....I have a 73 also that we are in the process of putting together right now that has a 454 but very similar setup to what yours. We cant decide to run a 91mm or 88. Do you have more pictures of stuff like the manifolds and down pipe?

James

8. JCH

I can get some more pictures this weekend. I have the down pipe off finishing up the welds. I built a modified log type manifold. THe runners are longer than a usual bbc exhaust manifold and I put as much forward angle as I could get to help push the eahaust along. I had a mock up engine in the car when I was building the manifolds and crossover piping. I had moved the engine back and forth but ended up putting it in the stock location. I did build my own solid mounts to get the engine as low in the cross member as possible.

THe down pipe is a true 5" that turns into dual 3.5" at the transmission crossmember. I had to mount the turbo low enough to be able to close the hood but get the down pipe up high enough just coming out of the turbo to allow the frt. suspension to travel. The car will have inner fenders in it. THe dvr. inner fender is stock and the pass. inner fenders is trimmed to follow the edge of the down pipe and around the turbine housing. I'll try and get more close up pics this weekend and post them Monday.

9. amnima

Looks good to me!

10. TURBO 70CAMARO

Very good job, I would like to see close ups of the way you mounted the turbo, I am in the process of mounting mine and any idea/pic is a good one at the moment.

11. JCH

I apologize for not getting the pics this weekend. I had honey do's and toys to assemble for the kids. I did get my turbo drain fabbed up and have install it next. I'll have the pics loaded tomorrow afternoon.

12. JCH

Here are a couple pics of the log manifolds I built and the turbo mount.

IMG_0088.JPG #ad

IMG_0089.JPG #ad

13. TURBO 70CAMARO

Anything new JCH

14. JCH

Well, not lately, have been trying to get my 87 4X4 back up and going. I had put a BBC in it with Holley fuel injection and the wife was going to start driving it back and forth to work, just to keep it up. For some reason my alt. regulator went out and both electric pumps quit at the same time. I've got it running again and hope to put the bed back on Saturday so I can get back to my camaro. Hope to have the radiator support mounted and the cold air piping done in a couple weeks.

Thanks for checking in though, maybe this will keep me motivated to get finished.

15. TURBO 70CAMARO

Cool, here some more motivation for you ;)

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. JCH

THanks, I keep telling myself its going to be worth it in the end. Seems like I figure out how to take care of one problem and another jumps up. I keep reading everyone elses builds and dyno results to help keep me going.

17. cobratt03

thats beautiful!

18. 90Five-0

thats gorgeous.. keep up the good work brother.

19. TURBO 70CAMARO

Knock Knock ;)

20. JCH

Well made so more progress. Got front cap installed and fitted. Hope to have the BOV and Waste gate by the end of this week so I can fit the hood. I'll have pics soon.