1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

my 94 cobra 351w/th400/s480 build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 94 cobRa, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 94 cobRa

------------------------------------Update-------------------------------------------

Car went 8.8@157
    22psi
    18.5* timing

864whp/786tq ISH @ 22 psi on mustang dyno
    ------------------------------------------

Car made 650whp on mustang dyno @ 20psi with 13* timing. E85 fuel through a TH400 and 3.25 gears. Havent made it to the track, but low low 9s should be do-able. I dont have a slip of 650whp dyno, but I have the print out of a 16psi pull and video-

[​IMG]#ad

https://youtu.be/stqzqGX_SpA

------------------------------------Update-------------------------------------------

Iv decided to start a build thread for my car. This is my first turbo deal so bare with me!

Old combo was 418w 10.3:1 pump gas stock t5 went
    This content is protected
    NA. I would have loved to turbo that engine but that didn't happen. That engine was sold a while back and the car just sat. While it was out commission I relocated the battery to the trunk and removed as much weight as I could.

Here is a rundown of the plan-

craigslist 351w from 96 bronco
    ford 351w swap pan
    knock off super vic with spyder intake elbow
    70mm throttle body
    stock pcm with moates QH
    no trans
    ford 9" rear with 4.11
    sumped stock fuel tank with twin walbro 255 inline pumps.

here Is what I need to get my hands on-

S480 from forced inductions (ordering today)
    twin 38-40mm gates
    50mm bov
    divided 2.25" hotside with 5" downpipe coming out driver side fender

Rossler th400 terminator 2 with billet aluminum drum (ordered a week or so ago)
    need to order shifter and cooler

need to figure out which way to tune. I want a holley dominator but the price is a bit high for me.

ditch twin walbros in favor of a big single for e85

Here are some pics-

old combo-

[​IMG]#ad

current-

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

0E9E5C19-59AE-4E90-819C-DA027C8B8F54_zps7dw08eey.jpg #ad

42BF1709-8548-4E5F-A726-3B8EE1CB9BD9_zpsdibg7viv.jpg #ad

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. 94 cobRa

here is a pic of the 351 in the bronco it came out of. picked it up for $300 on craigslist. after tearing it down to put the intake,pan, etc on I realized fairly quick its most likely been rebuilt and is probably .030 overbore.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

ready to go back in-

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  3. turbostang500

cool deal.
    most attachments didnt work

I would say the 4.11's are a little steep and you would like a 3.55 or higher later down the road but it isnt needed right at first.

the s480 is plenty of turbo to hurt the production block. are you putting forged pistons in it?

cant help with the tuning. Trans should be pretty stout but again, with the 4.11 and also a 3 spd trans, that first gear is gonna be very low.

4. 94 cobRa

Yea not sure why they didn't load, ill have to try and re-load the attachments. the 4.11s were optimum for my last setup NA so I have all intentions of a gear swap. trying to decide which gears to go with. some 3.25s or 3.00s im thinkin. leaning towards 3.25s.

I am going to keep the motor stock for now and see what it does. eventually it will have a built motor that should be able to take all the abuse. Gunna see if I can push 9.50s or better while keeping it as basic as possible. Being my first turbo deal, im not sure how far ill get LOL

5. afterfire

Have you considered megasquirt for ecm? Seem like an inexpensive and effective option.

Are you building your own hot-side?

I'm certain the answer to my next question is published on the internet somewhere but i'm too lazy to look it up.....does anything need to be changed or modified to fit the sn95 accessories to the 351w?

Sweet build btw, i'm looking forward to seeing it progressing.

6. 94 cobRa

I think I have considered most of the popular efi tuning setups at one point thinking about this build. megasquirt ms3pro or the mspnp2 are options, but I do want to get ride of the stock harness.

Yea I plan on doing my own hotside. I ordered the turbo today so when I figure out placement ill order up some bends from Columbia river.

sn95 accessory brackets are a bolt-on deal, just needs a longer belt

7. 92LX-5.8

What is involved with putting the th400 behind a windsor motor?

8. 94 cobRa

-Flexplate made to fit a ford but will work with Chevy bolt pattern converter
    -crankshaft pilot adapter
    -jw conversion bellhousing

There are a few ways of going about it but I chose using the jw bellhousing. Seemed like the bes option to me

9. 94 cobRa

got the engine in and running to make sure it wasn't a dud. has good oil pressure and sounds fine. I got a bell housing bolted up just to run it. Waiting for the trans from Rossler.

[​IMG]#ad

power steering needed deleted along with moving the radiator to make room for the turbo.

[​IMG]#ad

10. 94 cobRa

cut the stock bracket to make room and keep the idler. Not sure if I like it but if the turbo fits I will go with it for now.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

temporarily looped the stock rack-

[​IMG]#ad

11. 94 cobRa

I drilled new holes for the lower radiator mounts a couple inches forward of the old mounts and installed some rubber grommets.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

making room in the radiator support for the radiator cap/neck. used a piece of 3" exhaust to fill the hole

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

made top radiator mounts out of the mishimoto mount on the driver side and used the stock driver side radiator mount flipped around on the passanger side.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. Coupe Devil

Looks great so far. I like what you did to the upper rad support.

13. purple87lx

Radiator support looks good, also like the bracket!!

14. bgjohnson

Give megasquirt another look. I love mine, and I went through the stock harness to eliminate unused wires, rewrap, and wire tuck. Nothing wrong with it!

15. 94 cobRa

which megasquirt did you go with? You used it on the turbo 408 in your sig?

16. ricky

looking good,nice welds too!

17. 94 cobRa

thanks. I am not a welder or fabricater AT ALL. Im going to have to get alot better very fast to get the hotside to come out decent. Im good at taking my time, thats about the only thing on my side when it comes to metal fab/welding haha

18. 94 cobRa

Starting to gain some turbo room! The stock cooling fan is a bit bulky and may have to flip it 180 or find a aftermarket fan that is slimmer.

[​IMG]#ad

Here are some photos of the battery relocation and the relay and gauge panel for the front. I made the smaller, then bigger panel thinking I needed more relays because of the old nitrous system. With the turbo I may switch back to the smaller relay panel

dont mind the single fused wire coming off the kill switch LOL its temporary

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

here is a gauge panel i built after removing the dash to remove weight. the black gauge is just for mach-up. they are all autometer phantoms except for the wideband

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. turbostang500

Pretty neat and clean panel setups.
    Might be borderline OCD! haha joking.

20. cl08

Love the build, please give me inside/insight. You removed all the OE wiring and making your own harness correct? That's why all the relays are laid out? Sorry I am a total dumass when wiring is involved. Look at my build and you will understand why I am lost.
    [​IMG]#ad