1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 71 Maverick Grabber Build..... Update - DIY turbo kit fab started 6/9/12!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by franktf, Jun 6, 2010.

1. franktf

I picked up a new project today..... It's a 71 Maverick Grabber..... It's solid on the under side, but just ok up top and inside..... Needs some work but I love these old cars.....

2. Chris91LX

Re: My 71 Maverick Grabber Build.....

Looks sweet, looking forward to what you do with this one! :2thumbs:

3. LS1BLKSS

whats the plans for this one?

4. franktf

Nothing major right now..... I just want to get a few things cleaned and straightened up first.....

5. franktf

I started tearing into it today..... It no longer has a motor, trans, exhaust, front seats or a shifter in it..... I did find a small amout of rust in the rear floor pans, nothing bad.....

6. franktf

Almost forgot, the motor seemed to have a miss and I found this spark plug in #8..... I did a compression test before taking it out and all checked extremely well, also took the motor down to the shortblock and found nothing wrong..... I guess they just put the plug in like that, NICE.....

7. rdakota340

I seen that car a couple of weeks ago I believe they were headed to a car show it looked like it had just been painted,I like it my uncle has one in his back 40 of his property,We both went backwards in car years LOL! :2thumbs:

8. franktf

I just like the older iron better.....

9. 86turboGT

nice car man. reminds me of my father in laws grabber!

I love mavericks :D

10. littlebluefoxbody

Man that thing is clean for its age..... Should be sweet build.

11. MUSTLX50

We had one in the shop that we put a 427 ci, with the CHI heads and intake, motor made 650 hp on pump gas. That was a mission putting that motor in, but I love the look of those old cars. Nothing like hearing old muscle with a healthy heart beat. :2thumbs:

12. 86turboGT

427 BB?

13. nuckifuts

Nice frank. I love the grabber hood! Do you still have the coupe or did you sell it?

14. franktf

Thanks, I don't think it's getting anything that big.....

I am pretty sure he's talking about a 427 stroker windsor.....

Thanks, and yes I did sell the coupe as a roller.....

15. franktf

Some more dissassembly today..... I got all the nose sheetmetal off so I could check all the front end structure over for any potential problems..... Looks pretty good, just a couple small rust spots(nothing bad)..... Also found all the factory seam sealer is turning to dust..... The the inner cowl does look like it's in pretty good shape from what I can see.....

I said to myself I wasn't going to tear this car all apart, but it just doesn't seem to be working out that way.....

16. rdakota340

Not bad at Frank so is the plan to put a tubular front end and get reed of the towers!

17. sickpuppy

car looks to be in real good shape. i have always wanted to build one of these for some reason and im not even a ford man.

18. black88coupe

Awesome score. My first V8 car was a dark green 72 Grabber.

19. 96Tangg

I love it, Factory Grabber Blue! i will watch this one :corn:

20. franktf

The more days I have it the less parts are on it, needless to say I took more stuff off today..... The front is getting pretty bare now, I also removed the gas tank and all the fuel/brake lines going to the rear..... I looks like the rust is pretty well contained to the rear floors for the most part, underneith the car anyways.....

As always some progress pic's.....